VSX16 vs. Makaira 20 vs. Raptor 5/2 vs. Tiagra16 fro trolling

Started by Inspiro, May 14, 2012, 09:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspiro

Hi all
I'm considering buying a new reel for trolling, Biggest expected fish will be mediterranian BFT up to 200 lb(if I'm lucky to go there), but most fishing will be coral fish(GTs, Baraccudas, King mackerel, snappers, YFT, groupers)to 60 lb or so
will be using braid(80 or 100 lb) with a topshot(50lb for coral fish, 80 lb for BFT)

I'm comparing four two speed reels
1) Penn International VSX16
2)Okuma Makaira MK-20
3)Avet Raptor HX 5/2
4)Shimano Tiagra 16 or 20

I don't know which is a better overall reel, The drag should be easy to adjust precisely, I need it to be reliable with low maintenance, easy to repair and find parts for.
What do you recommend???

Thanks in advance
Inspiro

Tile

I would choose a Penn International 30VSX because it can cope much better with the type of fishing that you intend to do with it because it is beefier and has stronger parts. Also you can find parts for it in numerous places.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Nuvole

I own both 16VSX & HX 5/2., and here's some comparison:-

16vsx           Vs           HX 5/2

2 Dog                         1 Dog
Higher line cap              Lower line cap
Noisy                          Quiet
Difficult to dismantle
                                 Cast Control(not useful to me)

Squirmypug

I got the Makaira 20 to fish with 100lb line, it is doing great so far. It doesn't make any noise reeling in line has more drag than you need for 80lb line and has a 5 year warranty. Can't say anything about the other reels but if I had to choose one of them it would be the Penn.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

alantani

i chose the penn 12 vsx for 500 yards of 80# spectra and a 60# topshot.  then i got the makaira 20II for 500 yards of 100# spectra and an 80# topshot. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

i am a tiagra fan but for trolling you could choose any one.

Inspiro

Thanks all for sharing your experience

Alan, if we compare matching sizes, which would you prefer the VSX, or the Makaira?? do you believe the Tiagra and the Raptor are way behind?(otherwise you might have got one of them for yourself??)

Inspiro

SoCalAngler

IMO a VSX 30 is much closer to a Makaira 20 in size, or should I say a Makaira 20 overall is much closer to most 30 sized reels be it Penn, Avet, Diawa, Accurate and other makers.

Tile

In solid fiberglass we trust

JGB

Take a look at the newer Makiara 20II SEA (west coast version). It has  a lower low gear  and the same handle and arm as MAK50II.
Capacity is similar to the 30 VSX but the MAK20 is the equivalent to a narrow spool design reel. The MAK20 II SEA also has the TSI lubed spool bearings for superior live bait presentation and casting right out of the box. PENN makes a great product. The Raptor series needs  more time to see how well it holds up (so far it looks good) and the Tiagra is nice but needs to be updated ( it is near the end of it's design life).

My opinion is either the MAK20II SEA or the VSX. It really depends on how you like your reels to 'feel' while fishing and fighting fish as well as your applications (troll, kite, live bait ...).

Life is good - all we need to do is choose and we can have - Enjoy,
Jim N.

redsetta

QuoteLife is good - all we need to do is choose and we can have...
x2 - good call Jim.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

Quote from: Inspiro on May 14, 2012, 11:35:11 PM
Alan, if we compare matching sizes, which would you prefer the VSX, or the Makaira?? do you believe the Tiagra and the Raptor are way behind?(otherwise you might have got one of them for yourself??)

i hotrod all of mine, so they are equal.  you know the saying, God made man, Colonel Colt made them equal. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!