Made in China, Made in China, Made in China........

Started by Larry Wolfe, May 14, 2012, 12:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Wolfe

I purchase an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5600 BCX and received it in the mail Saturday.  Unbeknownst to me, there's a sticker on the bottom 'Made in China'.  I know some Penn's are made in China now and now obviously Abu's too.  Has anyone noticed any quality difference at all in the Penns or other reels made in China?

Keta

I have a PRC built Penn Fathom 25N and a ABU Alphmar 12, both appearer to be very well built but time will tell.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

springwell

I've a couple of Chinese Penns, seem ok up to now.

All my Abu's are Swedish so can't comment on the Chinese ones.

Bill
There is a fine line between the angler and madness

Tile

Almost all my reels are made in China (with the exception of the Banax - made in Korea). So far I didn't experienced problems and faults with them either in use or during servicing.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Nuvole

I understand how annoying you feel. I buy rod from US paying expensive only to see the china sticker ...>_<...

Irish Jigger

At least you get to see the stickers.  Over here the tackle shops peel them off the before selling the reels as "American Penn's."

Biggameaddict

The chinese ones arnt bad but depending on the model. All their revos and orras are pretty nice and the cardinal spinning reels too but that particular model is not so good. If you spend 60$ on a baitcaster dont expect it to be good cause their made out of cheap stuff and the bearings have a tendency to get ruined. If you want a good baitcaster that will last buy one thats 100$ and up like a c3,c4, or orra sx. For a spinning reel, 40-50$ is enough to buy you a good one.

The BCX and Kalex are made in China.  The Revo S is also. The other Revo's are from Korea by Banax or one of those other contracted factories.  Good Luck with your reel. There isnt one positive thing on the internet about it.  Frankly the current Swedish C3's leave alot to be desired too.

Ant

I have the recent made in China Jigmaster 500 and I have to say I can't fault it, with Alan's upgrades to the greased drags and s/s gear sleeve and handle it seems equal to the USA made product.

George4741

I have a Penn 760 Slammer Live Liner that appears to be a high quality product.  However, it may never get a really good work out.  I bought it for my wife to use on school albacore, but she likes conventional reels much better, specifically her USA made Penn 320gt2.  I also have a Penn Jigmaster that the gear sleeve seized up on.  I lubed it up and no problems since.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Wow shes a keeper! I cant even get a spinning reel in my wifes hands, jjust a zebco :-\

George4741

Quote from: 0119 on May 21, 2012, 08:41:49 PM
Wow shes a keeper! I cant even get a spinning reel in my wifes hands, jjust a zebco :-\

I suppose you mean my wife, and not the reel. ;D ;D
Yes, she enjoys fishing even more than I do.  Her favorite type of fishing?  Ice fishing in northern Nevada.  She uses a spinner for that.
viurem lliures o morirem