Okuma makaira 50w strange spool scratches under drag plate

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, April 29, 2012, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I like Okuma's new products but this was something I was afraid of when I heard they were being manufactured in China, and that is quality control.  Those look like cracks to me and they didn't happen because the spool was bent or subject to massive pressure. That spool looks to have been machined with the cracks already in the billet. The machinist should of seen it, also the anodizer, assembly person and finally the Q.C. person if they do not do quality controll on other stages of production. If that billet had cracks in it how many other spools or parts were made from it? I know this is only one spool but I think it is indicative of the culture in China of letting shoddy work go down the line and no one says a word for fear of telling on someone and loosing their job or the job of the person who made the part. I do hope this a fluke and I'm sure Okuma will make it right.

Rod Curve

And i hope the world outside China finally and forever learns to keep their production and engineering skills , and craftsmanship and technical knowledge AT HOME .  ;D
The story is always the same ................. for almost 30 years .

Reinaard  now you know what serviola s been talkin about ............ ;D

good luck with the reel ...................

SoCalAngler ... like button  ;)

Irish Jigger

x2 on your first post Rod Curve and welcome to the Forum.
I thought it was only Okuma's low end reels that lacked Quality Control,well I was wrong. :o

Squirmypug

Just wait guys, thats only one reel. Other brands have some reels that make it to stores with missing/bad parts too.  ::)   Plus I have had no problems with my Makaira  :)
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

alantani

no reel is immune from problems.  for me the important questions are how often problems pop up and how they are handled. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reinaard van der Vossen

Guy's, please refrain from go China - no China kinda statements or any bashing. That's not where this topic is for.

I opened the topic because I was not fully certain of what I was looking at. The cracks look strange to me but maybe it is because the anodizing was done after the cracks occured.

The topic is to gain knowledge and to establish what I'm looking at.  Sure, it should not have passed QC but that point is passed and improving QC might help to prevent this in the future for other reels.

For me, the pressure is on as I got a fishingtrip comming up

Irish Jigger

Reassemble the reel and go fishing with it. There must be hundreds of anglers out there enjoying there 50WII's unaware that they have inherent hairline fractures. Okuma are aware of this problem and will no doubt take steps to rectify it so you have nothing to lose. Go fishing,enjoy your trip ;D

Reinaard van der Vossen

I'm not fishing for sardines. I need a reliable strong reel that can be securely fished on big fish.

The reel is already in the hands of a local dealer and will be picked up by the okuma rep.

boghy

I always believe that aluminum type reels from okuma are made in Taiwan, not China, unless they changed that too since i last checked, and yes, thous seems to be cracks before the reel was even machined. All reel manufactures have different type of issues, including Avets USA made reels. The support behind it is what matters, which is what keeps the customers - happy.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

Reinaard van der Vossen

Good News,

I've just been called by the Okuma representative and they had the spool analyzed by an QC engineer. The markings are tool markings from a burr on the tool which was, apparently, not replaced in time. They are not haircracks. Although the scratches are aesthetically unattractive they do not affect the strength of the material. Besides that, they are on the inside of the reel and I'm going to be the only one that sees them

Of course they consulted also the European Okuma representative. They have 6 or 7 pcs of the same model on stock and checked them all. They all do have the same scratches on the spool. Apparently they are from the same batch/series. and gave the QC's the opportunity to look at several spools to come to their conclusion.

Tomorrow is ascension day which is a national holiday (almost all shops closed) and I will have my reel back early next week.

Boghy, you're correct. They are made in Taiwan, my earlier referral to "go china no china" was because this is not a topic to discus that matter.