Accurate 270 2-speed Max Drag Problems

Started by eldoradoman, May 16, 2012, 05:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldoradoman

I looked through other topics and couldn't find the answer so started a new one.  I have an Accurate B2-270.  When I move the lever from Strike to More there is no change in the drag.  I have 4 other 2 speed accurates and have never encountered this issue.  I bought the reel used and it was like this.  I tore it down and can't find anything out of place or damaged.  I also even added a bearing sleeve which works great for free spool and did a full service on the reel.  However, I just can't figure out what the problem is with the drag not increasing when moving lever from strike(labelled "on") to more(labelled "more").  Am I missing something obvious?  Please help.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

eldoradoman

No slippage.  That was one of the first things I checked and the problem occurs at any drag range I try.

alantani

maybe replace the cam.   the ramp on the cam is what determines how the drag progresses.

eldoradoman

Great idea.  I'll switch with another reel to see if that solves the problem.

eldoradoman

I switched the cam with a single speed 270 and a 2 speed 870.  The cam from the problem reel works fine on the other two reels but no matter which one I used on the problem reel I still couldn't get it to work.  There is only one thing different that I can see. I measured the high of the hexagon tip that the cam fits over and it is slightly higher than the other reels.  Is it possible that it was machined slightly too high?  Do you think that would effect the last little change of lever height? This seems very strange to me.

JGB

The extra height will not affect max drag. Try the following:

Remove the spool sleeve (it might be too long).
Replace the right side plate bearing (most likely problem)
Replace the cam Bearing.
Verify that the E clip is good and seated properly.

I do not have any idea beyond this,
Jim N.

eldoradoman

Thanks Jim.  I replaced the bearings with ones from a known working model and took out my bearing sleeve but still no resolution.  Since it is business hours now and this is driving me crazy I figured I would call over to Accurate.  I was told that the only thing left that he thought it could be is the cam rail (the metal piece that the cam sits on with the ridges on each side).   I had looked at it once already and it didn't look damaged or worn at all but the accurate rep. said that maybe the machining was slightly off so it wouldn't look damaged.  I switched it with another unit and bingo..problem fixed.  Now I need to just get an extra one from accurate. 

Thanks Alan and Jim for your suggestions.  I appreciate your input and value this forum!  During this process once again I have learned more about the ins and outs of accurate reels.

JGB

alantani

glad it works now.  hey, got a couple of other accurates that need looking at.  got time this weekend?   ;D

eldoradoman

If I was up North I would do it.  For some sick reason it's actually relaxing to work on the reels.  Now I just need some actual fishing time.

alantani