MXL repair

Started by Phishermaneto, May 16, 2012, 07:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phishermaneto

My MXL 4.5/1 was sticking a bit and when I took it apart i found mild salt intrusion inside.  After cleaning and lubing I put the reel back together and it won't drop into freespool.  Possibly a bearing?  Possibly something I did when reassembling?  When i tore the reel down i did not remove the spool from the shaft.  I wasn't sure how to remove it so i just left it alone. 
Any suggestions?

Bryan Young

Phishermaneto,

Welcome.  Sorry to hear you are having problems.

I'd check to make sure that the drag plate is properly seated on the pinion gear.  I normally place the drag pressure plate on the pinion gear then insert the spool shaft to complete attaching the spool the the drive assembly (right side plate)  I think this is where your problem lies.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Phishermaneto

Bryan,
Thank you for the fast reply.  I believe my drag plate is properly seated.  I have tried taking it apart and reassembling it several times to fix the problem and everything seems to fit together right.  Could i have messed something up when i first took it apart?  lever position?  or perhaps it is a bearing after all?  how would i disassemble the shaft and spool to find out?

Erik

Bryan Young

When you put the reel back together, is the lever in freespool?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Phishermaneto

Keta

Did you remove the pinion bearing?  If it's not fully seated it can cause problems.  When I work on a Avet I always replace the pinion bearing, even if they feel good.

I'd suggest taking the reel apart again and carefully reassembling it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

first guess is bearings stuck to the spool shaft........ 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phishermaneto

I have reassembled it a couple times with the same disappointing result. 

@Alan - I think it must be a bearing as everything else I have taken apart seems to be in fine order. I removed the locking pin from the end of the shaft but how would I go about disassembling the shaft after that?  Nothing seemed to want to come apart easily once i removed the pin.

alantani

did you get all the rust off the spool shaft?  the bearings need to slide easily. 

elnath

Sounds similar to the problem I was having...I ended up giving up and sending it to Alan....

Phishermaneto

Thanks Alan!!
It was corrosion affecting the bearing.  I removed, cleaned, lubed and reassembled it.  Everything is working fine again.  Thanks so much.

-Erik

alantani

Bryan Young

Phishermaneto

After having so much luck repairing my MXL, I decided to try to tackle my father's MXL 4.5.  He has difficulty reeling, but freespool is fine so I'm pretty sure his pinion bearing is the problem.
My question is where should I look to purchase a new pinion bearing?  We are going cod fishing next weekend, so if there is somewhere with expedient shipping that would be preferred. 

alantani

first class mail will be there by thursday if i mail it out today.  tomorrow is memorial day.  i think i know which one it is, but dimensions would be nice.  can you send a pm with dimensions and your address?