simple questions

Started by floating doc, May 17, 2012, 03:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

Two issues...

1:I just reassembled my purchased Penn 970. To line up the keeper screw (23A) for the handle screw, I can only get the handle screw (23) finger tight.
Is that OK? I'm afraid to put too much torque on the screw.

2: I bought a reel clamp on ebay, but the screw holes on the stand are too close to the edge.

I can't continue to thread the screw into the stand due to the narrowness of the stand causing interference with the head of the screw against the sides of the stand. The heads on the screw have a flat side machined into them to fit against the side of the stand, but that doesn't make a difference since I can't turn the screw.  :(

Are there screws available for this reel seat? The 34C screws in the schematic appear to have a non-threaded section just below the head, but they are for the old type clamp with the stamped plate and wing nuts. I bought the newer design with the graphite clamp that takes the flush-fit screw head; I assume that the screws for that type are shorter than the ones in the schematic.
Central Florida

Irish Jigger

1. Tighten the handle screw up another 1/8 th increment (using the proper Penn spanner) otherwise the handle will be loose and damage the sleeve over time. It must be tight!

2. The  Rod Clamp centres should be 1-3/8" to match those on the Stand.
   A graphite clamp (33-113) and new screws should be OK for your reel.

floating doc

Thanks for the reply; I'll put the Penn wrench on the handle screw and give it a bit more torque.

I have a clamp that is the correct width, but the heads on the clamp screws interfere with the sides of the stand. If I can get screws installed, then the clamp will fit.
Central Florida

George4741

Quote from: floating doc on May 17, 2012, 03:59:02 AM
Two issues...

2: I bought a reel clamp on ebay, but the screw holes on the stand are too close to the edge.

I can't continue to thread the screw into the stand due to the narrowness of the stand causing interference with the head of the screw against the sides of the stand. The heads on the screw have a flat side machined into them to fit against the side of the stand, but that doesn't make a difference since I can't turn the screw.  :(

Are there screws available for this reel seat? The 34C screws in the schematic appear to have a non-threaded section just below the head, but they are for the old type clamp with the stamped plate and wing nuts. I bought the newer design with the graphite clamp that takes the flush-fit screw head; I assume that the screws for that type are shorter than the ones in the schematic.

Is your rod clamp a Penn part or some other manufacturer's?  I'm not aware of any Penn rod clamp where you must thread the screws into it.  Can you provide photos?   
viurem lliures o morirem

JGB

If you are referring to the heads of the screws interfering with the inside of the reel seat you may need to get the proper clamp screws or possibly grind flats on one or 2 sides of the screw head to give you the clearance you need. This is why you may see some clamp screws with a flat on the head. Okuma does this a lot.

Jim N.

alantani

cinch up the handle nut retaining screw a little more than just finger tight.  you should be able to lean on it a little and have no trouble. 

for these narrow reels, penn had a screw that was ground back on one side.  some fit into a round hole in the reel seat and some fit into a square hole like a carriage bolt would.  for your reel, you may as well get a stainless steel pan head phillips machine screw and stainless steel hex nut to match.  then you should be able to use your new clamp. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!