Cardiff 400a help

Started by Andrew_B, May 17, 2012, 04:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew_B

Hey guys ... I new to the forum..Stumbled across it looking for solutions to reel probs and been lurking for lil while now and am amazed at the amount of useful info on here and great reels..

Well anyways here my prob ... Everything on the reel seems fine and has been fished hard but well maintained and has been sitting cleaned and lubed since last season in the box... Only when casting or paying out line quickly I get a pretty bad clicking that slows the spool quickly, killing my cast.. If you just pull line slow there is  no issue.. Only when spool is spinning quickly... Checked all the brakes and everything else seems to be in place proper... Only thing I can think of is bent shaft on spool??? What you guys think ?? Am I just gonna have to go out and get a new spool assembly???

Thanks in advanced for any help ...Cheers 

Nessie Hunter

Andrew, kind of sounds like the Pinion rubbing on the Spool pin????
This can happen for a couple of reasons....

The Yoke is old & Tired and not holding the Pinion Gear high enough...

Or the Spool shaft is not seated properly on Left side plate....

Some how the Pinion Gear is rubbing on the Spool Shaft pin...
If it only happens when going Fast I would think is is just not in all the way to Left Side Plate??
Take a look and see if the bearing is seated properly or if anything is built up under the bearing that would keep it from going all the way in (rust, corrosion, sand etc etc)...

But Murphy law does apply here also...   Anything that can go wrong, Will!!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Andrew_B

thanks for the quick reply .... i will give it a look today if i get the time... hope that is all it is but with my luck prob not ... will post if i got fixed or not... thanks again

Andrew_B

so looks like the bearing on left side plate is all good.. So i guess it the yoke ?? the prob happened after running into thousands of big cow nose rays and whooping on quiet a few.. So it wasnt like a gradual thing like salt or anything building up under bearing... Do i need to replace the whole yoke and spring assembly ??  And maybe pinion gear too??

Nessie Hunter

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/techdocs/en/CDF400A_v1_m56577569830556013.pdf

I would eliminate the easy/cheap stuff first...
Before you order parts that "dont" fix the problem..
Check that Spool Tension cap isnt to loose..
Allowing the spool to move to far to the right.
Is the end cap Dented or pushed in at bearing??? (dropped & Dented, mashed inward)
If it is or MIGHT Be:
Use a Socket & Tap it out from inside, very carefully & lightly.... 
Disclaimer ~ Not responsible for breakage or damage!!!!!   LOL

That everything on Left End Spool Bearing & recess cup is clean, so shaft can go all the way to right (away from Pinion Gear)....

Other then that check for any worn looking parts in Clutch assembly & Yoke...
Sometimes the Nylon Yoke (cradle where Pinion sits) material will wear down enough to allow the Pinion to rub the Pin when casting.....??????

If it is the Pinion Gear rubbing/hitting on the shaft pin.?? 
Something is causing it. Could be wear, could be spool position??

Look carefully at end of Pinion gear and see if it looks marked/worn by the Pin. 
Pin is Much harder metal, should leave rub marks or wear marks....
It may be something else ????   

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

clicker, levelwind and pinion gear.  those are the only things that touch the spool.  it's gotta be one of those three.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!