Graphite spools

Started by Makule, May 18, 2012, 12:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

On another thread, someone asked about comparing plastic versus 3-piece metal spools.  My question is similar.

Graphite is great from the standpoint of weight and strength.  Has anyone had bad experiences with graphite spools breaking or distorting under use?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

JGB

Graphite spools are light and strong if made correctly. They work extremely well with smaller spool sizes and lower drag settings. When you get up to larger line capacity and high drag settings the spools can flex and potentially fail. This is a bigger problem when lots of mono is loaded under tension. Every wrap on the spool adds pressure like a rubber band. I still remember the days where Garcia Mitchel reels spools would explode if you put too much 4# test under tension on the spool. Graphite yields by flexing  way before failure where forged aluminum does not yield until near failure (does not flex). For offshore use try for metal spools or if graphite is needed use a reel that allows for the spool flex (Newels are a good example). Be aware that there is a trend for lighter and lighter spools for offshore reels. If this continues I predict that we will begin to see more and more cracked spools on offshore reels.

Jim N.

Ratchet

Quote from: Makule on May 18, 2012, 12:56:45 AM
Has anyone had bad experiences with graphite spools breaking or distorting under use?

The old bakelite spools for Penn conventionals had a very bad reputation of splitting open when fished with nylon monofilament.  I haven't had any trouble at all running 80 lb mono on my Newell 646-3 reels in over 15 years or with running 60 lb mono on my G454T's for more than 20 years.  Neither have I personally seen any damaged newell graphite spools (other than those broken by dropping on a concrete floor).

It could happen, especially if you hook and land a giant sting ray and not immediately despool a hundred yds or more and rewind under less tension.  Like JGB said, I also think there is less tension buildup if you fish with 300 yds of 80 lb mono, compared to 600 yds of 40 lb mono...maybe that is why we don't blow up more spool slidebaiting for ulua.  Just my opinion, no scientific evidence.