A/R bearing -FYI latent failures after servicing

Started by JGB, May 18, 2012, 04:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGB

Servicing usually goes well with happy customers. On occasion something seems to fall through the cracks.
Well I have very recently had 2 A/R bearings fall through the crack. Scenario is Full service went well and A/R bearing services with CorrosionX/TSI321 blend. A week or 2 later the A/R begins to fail by slipping at lower than expected loads. A recheck shows that  lots of rust has broken loose and is now suspended in the lube. There was very little or no rust apparent at the time of service. It looks  like the TSI frees up (cleans) the embedded rust and the A/R bearing gets 'loose'. Repair involves replacing the bearing with no future problems.

As Alan has said in several threads - if there is any suspicion about the A/R change it out to be safe. If it slips or moves backwards even a bit before or after service it is probably bad or very near bad. A/R bearings are expensive and prone to hidden failures due to corrosion. We try to not spend our customers money unnecessarily but may be doing them a disservice by not being conservative with A/R bearings. Shimano has changed the A/R bearings to a newer version that is now corrosion resistant to improve reliability. I hope a trend develops with A/R bearings being backed up with dogs develops soon.

Jim N.

Nessie Hunter

I feel your pain.  Just had one do the same thing...   :-\

Cost an extra $27.92 to the customer (plus shipping)  after it was returned for 'free' re-do service.
His money, My time........  :-[
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Nessie Hunter

Note:
I always bench test Reels in several ways...   
Testing the Roller Bearing is always done by hand with side plate off..

As I tape the line on spools to work on them, I never thought to un-tape it and do a "Pull on the line" at high Drag setting to test the Roller bearing...
This adds considerably more pressure to Roller bearing.. "Better Test" IMO...
I test the drags by holding spool and cranking handle at diff settings...

I am now adding the "line pull" to my bench tests....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!