Saltist 40

Started by getbent, July 17, 2009, 08:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getbent

Alan, I've been reading your stuff for a while and just discovered this website.  Excellent idea, and thanks for putting so much effort into it.  I really enjoy reading your write ups and never open a new reel till I check to see if there is a tutorial on BD.com. 
I have a question about my saltist 40:  is there a smaller reel clamp I can get for this reel.  When I say smaller, I mean thinner.  That clamp is so thick I'm unable to get it reach around my larger rods. 
If you're aware of a solution, I would be very thankful.

Chuck

alantani

the thinnist is a daiwa metal clamp, but it's a little wide.  i use a set of penn screws and bolts.  did you want to go that thin?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

getbent

I'm not sure width is a problem.  Do you have a part # ?

alantani

no, but if you send me a pm with your address, i'll mail it down to you.  it's just laying around taking up space.  i'd be glad to be rid of it.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

getbent

Thanks Alan, that is really nice of you to offer.  However, problem solved!  Had the topshot replaced this weekend at M&M custom rods in Lakeside and Monty had a generic plastic reel clamp that fits perfect.  I'm stoked there is a world class saltwater tackle shop 40 miles east of SD.

Alan, I have another question concerning a different brand of reel so I'll start another thread.

Ryan W

Hello all,

My name is ryan and I'm from new jersey. We've unfortunately had some problems with some hurricanes here in years past, and my beloved diawa saltist 40 sat underwater (fresh, not salt) for four days during hurricane Irene three years ago. Since then, the reel has worked fine at room temperatures, but at any low temperatures, the reel does not work. The drag does not work; line continually pours off the reel no matter the star setting. I took it apart and re-built it, using shimano star drag grease for the drag washers (a light coat) and penn blue grease for the non-drag parts. I used 3-in-1 household oil for the screw holes. I have what look to be carbontex drags. I did nothing with the bearings, and the only parts that rusted were two "hoops" on the left side plate. The reel still performs great at room temperatures, but once again, at low temperatures (simulated by placing in freezer for half an hour) the drag problem still ensures. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

mhc

Braid/spectra slipping when the spool arbor contracts with the low temps?
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Ryan W

Thanks, I'll try that tonight. It had no problems with cold temperatures before it got wet, but you never know. I bought the reel used... it's possible the braid is directly on the spool.

Thanks!

Ryan W

Yep, that's it! Thanks a bunch for your help! Now just gotta rebuild it and take off the 500 yards of power pro and back it and spool it back on.

Thanks a bunch for your help!