Make your own TSI 301

Started by inhotpursuit, May 20, 2012, 05:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inhotpursuit

After failing so many times i finaly got an 8oz tin of TSI301  from Alan but it quickly dissappeared on my recent trip to the philippines where it is liquid gold,after numerous attemps to get more and failing because no one likes to ship it i decided to get some TSI 321 which is readily available and no one seems to mind shipping,i had noticed that 301 had a slight orange odor to it,on a whim i purchased some DeSolv-it contractor solvent i took a 4 oz bottle of 321 and mixed in 2 oz of the DeSolv-it, damn it went cloudy what a waste i thought well i let it sit for a couple of days and sure enough it cleared,that was a two months ago,i have soaked and tested some bearings in it and it seems to be the same as the original 301,the total cost is considerably less than a 8 oz tin of 301  the solvent is $12 for 12.5oz and $19 for a 26oz bottle the 4oz TSI 321 is 9.99 total cost for 8oz of the mixture is at the most $12.99 and the solvent is pleasant to work with and eco friendly

Nessie Hunter

?????   
Your not afraid that the Solvent will diminish or destroy the lubricating ability of the 321??

Without a Chemistry background and/or Scientific backup.   I would never do that..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bryan Young

Only time will tell, I guess. Keep us up on the longevity of the mixture, please.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

inhotpursuit

Yes i am beeing cautious i should have noted this is experimental,i was checking out to see the ingriedients of TSI 301 through the MSDS report it seems that 80% is Methyl Chloroform which is commonly used as a solvent/degreaser the contractors solvent is an orange oil based product and not as powerfull a degreaser as the Methyl Chloroform so i am hoping that the weaker solvent will not alter the synthetic ester in the tsi 301, the report makes for some interesting reading Methyl Chloroform is reactive with aluminum and a  health hazard if inhaled.

http://msdsreport.com/ds.cfm?msds=bjlzg&name=tsi-300%2F301&mfg=american%20gas%20and%20chemical%20co%20ltd

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/trichlor.html

i have a small 110 motor running continuously with bearings treated with the formula the bearings seem to be bronze bushings and the motor was a discarded micro wave fan motor that was not running it was cleaned with ether and soaked for 24 hours in the homemade mixture,so far it has been running for 4 days i will keep you informed on the longetivity i don't expect it to last more than a week as i do not think it is made to run continuously

wallacewt

in hot pursuit seems right for  a good name. ;)

inhotpursuit

If my wife ever finds out how much money i spend on tackle i will be inhotwater

Bryan Young

I'm right there with ya, InHotPursuit.

Quote from: inhotpursuit on May 24, 2012, 06:59:12 PM
If my wife ever finds out how much money i spend on tackle i will be inhotwater
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

inhotpursuit

The motor that had the bushings treated in the TSI and contractors solvent mixture is still running so far it has run continuously  for 17 days

Makule

My guess is that there shouldn't be any problem with the lube, with the possible exception of deterioration from heat.  As I don't know what heat tolerances the orange oil has, the issue has to do with possibly fire from excessive heat, and possible breakdown/gummy consistency after extended use.

In your current application, it doesn't seem like there is any significant load on the bushing so there should be minimal heat buildup.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Jimmer

I'm thinking the 321 sloughed off the oil based solvent, I would use an evaporating type solvent if I had to make my own tsi301, but I only use 321, so I'm not to concerned about it.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

inhotpursuit

The motor is pushing a fan  and the bushing mounts are way to hot to touch but it still running don't forget this was a non running motor that  salvaged from a recycling bin,  i use this mixture only to soak bearings for 24 hours they are then cleaned with alcohol and air dryed and spun with a light blast of compressed air it seems to work really well, i am definatley a TSI fan i have used it on all sorts of applications and i don't really need the 301 as everything is thorougly cleaned before the soak,either way it seems that the ester based lubricant in TSI permeates thoroughly into the metals and stays for a long time.