Penn # 49 Deep Sea Reel

Started by mdw46, May 21, 2012, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdw46

Hi , I have a # 49 and I want to rebuild and can't find schematic to order parts , can someone direct me where I can get new drags and other parts i might need ?
Thanks

alantani

here you go!   https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn49L.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

Do a search in the Penn section and you will find all the info you need.  Welcome to the site, it is great.
John

akfish

Before you spend much money on that  reel, make sure the spool is still true. The older 49s -- those without the new style black aluminum spools -- did not tolerate mono well and often have warped spools. New spools are available but cost  about $30. Also, you'll need to replace the bridge if you change from an older steel spool to a newer aluminum spool.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Quote from: akfish on May 21, 2012, 08:09:37 PM
Before you spend much money on that  reel, make sure the spool is still true. The older 49s -- those without the new style black aluminum spools -- did not tolerate mono well and often have warped spools. New spools are available but cost  about $30. Also, you'll need to replace the bridge if you change from an older steel spool to a newer aluminum spool.
Bill, that's a new one on me. Can't just put that out and be done with it, can you be more specific on why you need to change the bridge? Thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

The new bridges are tapered on the bottom so that the aluminum spools do not hit the the bridge; the older bridges weren't tapered nearly as much. You can grind down an old bridge so that it works with a new spool but it's a hassle and you have to grnd down quite a bit.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mdw46

Alto Mare

Quote from: akfish on May 22, 2012, 02:42:29 AM
The new bridges are tapered on the bottom so that the aluminum spools do not hit the the bridge; the older bridges weren't tapered nearly as much. You can grind down an old bridge so that it works with a new spool but it's a hassle and you have to grnd down quite a bit.
I see, tight tolerance. Thanks Bill.
I've seen a few JVariance kits rub in the past, but it was usually the tip of the screws.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Thank's for that akfish.  I am about to fit an aluminium spool to an old 49 and as they say "To be forewarned is----------"  ;)