I am in the Market for a reel that...

Started by stradly1, May 21, 2012, 09:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stradly1

will take 50lbs braid, 40lbs topshot with powerful drag (28lbs perhaps). I would like it to be a narrow design as this will be a jigging reel, maybe 300 yards of 50lbs braid, perhaps the size of a narrow Newell. It must be easy to cast so a star drag would probably be preferred. I was thinking of the smallish Penn Torque but I have never seen the reel nor has anyone even commented about them. The Avet's are all lever drag designs to my knowledge and the Makaira 8 is also a lever design. It doesn't need to be a 2 speed design. I also thought about the Okuma Cedros 8 but no one has said anything about this reels casting ability. It looks like a Makaira so I assume it is a heavy design. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Alto Mare

Sounds like a 113H would do it for you. There are nice narrow kits out there for a Penn 113H along with other upgrades.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

A Newell will deliver 10 pounds of drag at most.  The torques and makairas will all be heavy. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

G'day stradly and welcome aboard,
There's a wide variety of options, though it narrows considerably given you want to jig and cast.
For the jigging (which is big here in NZ), Saltigas and, particularly, Jigging Masters are popular choices.
I like the specs and quality of JMs, though I'm yet to fish one.
Clem's used these a lot and also come up some quality upgrades (here's a breakdown: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2319.0 and some upgrades: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3153.0. Saltiga here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2912.0).
There's also Shimano's Ocea Jigger, which is becoming popular despite the price tag.
Probably a bit 'tall' for casting though.
Personally, I like the 113H 'Tank' with the narrow conversion etc (Sal's 'Tank' thread here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.0).
Done right, it's got a 4:1 ratio, holds 500m of 80lb braid, puts out 20-25lbs drag and will handle anything you're likely to throw at it (before stepping up to the big gear).
It'll also cast well, with a bit of practice.
Hope that's of some assistance.
There'll be plenty of other good advice on this one.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

conchydong

Here are a few smaller reels that meet your criteria. I would look at the Trinidad if money is not an issue.

Trinidad 16NA- I haven't used the A series yet but heard the cast great and have 2 dogs plus antireverse bearing/ fairly expensive

Okuma Cedros Star 10- Nice enough reel good drag but single dog. I have one for speed jigging. Casts well if needed/moderately priced

Jigging Master PE5N-lower gear ratio than the others, lever drag, praised by many for vertical jigging not sure about casting/ expensive

basto

My go to jigging reels are my Jigging Masters, but for casting I like my PENN Torque 200 better.
I think that a jigging reel needs to have a one way roller bearing to counter any slop in the handle, and a good twin dog backup. Both these reels have that.
I have fished everyday, all day on a 7 day charter with the Torque and not found the weight a problem.
The Torque has a disengaging pinion gear which makes it a very good caster.
I also have a Baja Special, and while I love the gear ratio (same as the JMs),  I find it a bit combersome for jigging and it lacks the roller bearing.
The Torque 200 pulls 32pounds of drag and holds 450 yds of 50lb braid. There is a 100 also, which would probably suit you better, being lighter and still having enough line capacity.

Anyhow, just my thoughts and experiences. Good luck with your quest.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

redsetta

Good call basto - I notice a few places even have 'em on sale at present too...

basto

Quote from: redsetta on May 22, 2012, 02:37:57 AM
Good call basto - I notice a few places even have 'em on sale at present too...
Yes, I have been so happy with my 200, I would like to get a 100 too.
I know some Penn traditionalists don`t like roller bearings or high gear ratios, but this is my favourite PENN.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

SoCalAngler

Penn Baja Special-113HN

Edit:It maxes out at around 26 lbs of drag not the 28 you were looking for but it is only 2lbs less. Also it is a taller than the torque's, the 113HN is a narrow 4/0 size.

doradoben

Maybe a Penn Fathom 25N.. Weighs about 18 oz., is a narrow star drag that makes 25 lbs of drag pressure. They cast well, but I haven't seen the inside and I think they are about the size you are interested in...

Keta

I haven't fished mine yet but the Penn Fathom 25N is close to what you are looking for.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: stradly1 on May 21, 2012, 09:44:18 PM
40lbs topshot with powerful drag (28lbs perhaps).

With 40# line you will never use more then 14# (1/3) up to maybe 18/20# (1/2) of drag.
Why do you think you need 28# of drag..
28# of drag would be for line up to 85#......

K.I.S.S. .......  ;D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Makule

QuoteWith 40# line you will never use more then 14# (1/3) up to maybe 18/20# (1/2) of drag.
Why do you think you need 28# of drag..
28# of drag would be for line up to 85#......

Wondered about that myself.  Our style of fishing is to cast out the bait and then leave the rod in a holder until the fish bites.  I will normally set the drag at 20+ but don't normally take to rod out of the holder unless the fish isn't running or it's already stopped its initial run.  If more drag is needed in a hurry, we'll "thumb" the spool (I actually use my fingers while I'm holding on to the reel and add pressure to the sides of the spool and not the line itself).  Holding on to 20+ pounds of drag (measured straight out of the reel) when the fish is running fast is more than exciting, especially if it's a long run (E.G., like 200+ yards).  Trying to hold on to 28 pounds will be more like a challenge.  As the spool empties and you're connect to a bullet train, the drag multiplies to 40 lbs., and you'll be glad the line broke.

Of course, having said all that, I'd like 28 lb. of drag too since it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.   On the other hand, too much of a good thing may become bad.  On the other hand, how many cliches can one stand and how many hands do I have anyway?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

QuoteOn the other hand, how many cliches can one stand and how many hands do I have anyway?
;) ;D

CapeFish

Quote from: stradly1 on May 21, 2012, 09:44:18 PM
will take 50lbs braid, 40lbs topshot with powerful drag (28lbs perhaps). I would like it to be a narrow design as this will be a jigging reel, maybe 300 yards of 50lbs braid, perhaps the size of a narrow Newell. It must be easy to cast so a star drag would probably be preferred. I was thinking of the smallish Penn Torque but I have never seen the reel nor has anyone even commented about them. The Avet's are all lever drag designs to my knowledge and the Makaira 8 is also a lever design. It doesn't need to be a 2 speed design. I also thought about the Okuma Cedros 8 but no one has said anything about this reels casting ability. It looks like a Makaira so I assume it is a heavy design. Does anyone have any thoughts?

have you looked at the new model penn torque?