new spinning reel purchase

Started by bigmike2121, May 22, 2012, 01:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmike2121

Hey guys....new here. great site!

looking at a couple of new spinning reels for use on texas coast. both live bait and artificial usage, also wade fishing in light surf. Looking at Shimano sahara, and spheros and penn battle in sizes that will handle approx 240 yards of 8 to 10 lb line. Give me your honest opinion of these choices, want to keep my choices under 150 to 200 dollars.

redsetta

G'day and welcome Mike,
I haven't seen a Penn Battle yet, but the Spheros is a good little spinner.
Given your price range, I'd choose that over the Sahara every time.
Okuma's Salina and Cedros are good, too, but require regular maintenance - I've seen some bad examples, though alloy quality could be better in the more recent models.
One of the lead contenders for your needs would have to be the Shimano Stradic C14 series.
While the 430/440 are a fraction above $200, they're a significant step up...
Lastly, in terms of 'bang for your buck', the standout for me is Shimano's Baitrunner series (ie the 4000D) - tried and true.
Hope that's helps.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

George4741

Since you want to use live bait, how about one of those reels that have a live-liner feature (or whatever the other manufacturers call it).  A Penn 460L Slammer Live Liner might fit the bill.
George   
viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

Good call George - I like the standard Slammers too.
Unfortunately, the live-liner mechanism is a real weak point.
I find the Baitrunner system tends to be more robust - if that's what you're after... ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

i'm not much of a spinner guy.  i have a couple of okuma cedros spinners for heavy stuff (50 and 65# spectra).  the remaining reels are throw aways.  my favorite throw away is the daiwa sweepfire for $19.95, or two for $29.95 at my local tackle shop.  the kids are constantly dropping them into the ocean. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bigmike2121

Thanks for all the responses guys. Those stradic c14's are VERY nice, but I want to get 2 reels at once plus a new rod. will put one reel on the new rod and one on a rod I already have that needs a reel. But, I have plenty of hotel points which i can convert into bass pro shops gift cards so its definately doable!! Like to put my hands on them before I order...just cant buy them with out seeing in person. Have plenty of time, surf will be turned on all summer as long as the weather cooperates. Thanks again.

p.s. the live bait fishing is done under popping cork w/live shrimp. I really dont care for the baitrunner type reels.

Nessie Hunter

Spinners (or any reel) and Surf fishing - are asking for trouble...

The Sweepfire idea is great..   
Do an Alan Tani Pre-use Service and upgrade the drags If need to Carbontex & Cals....

(I have found many Low End Daiwa Spinners have Carbontex like Drags already - dont know on the Sweepfire?? Have some Regals that do. When on sale for $15 each & bought 3 of them - Cabelas)

You save a ton of $$, get a whole bunch of good use from them and wont worry....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bryan Young

I agree, go the replacement method.  You can buy 6 of them for the price and have spare parts if they break.  Besides, you are only using 8-10# test anyway.  Those reels can stand the pressure of that # of line.  If you were talking 65# or 80# braid, that may be another story for another reel.

Good luck on your decision.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on May 22, 2012, 05:27:10 AM
i'm not much of a spinner guy.  i have a couple of okuma cedros spinners for heavy stuff (50 and 65# spectra).  the remaining reels are throw aways.  my favorite throw away is the daiwa sweepfire for $19.95, or two for $29.95 at my local tackle shop.  the kids are constantly dropping them into the ocean. 
I never disagree with you Boss, but I do this time. Bigmike, if you do go with a reel as Alan recommended, you will be tossing them after a couple of trips. After you've tossed 4 of them...and it would be soon, you could have had a Penn ( not the newer models) that would have lasted for the rest of your life.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Fishing with disposable reels? Heck between overdevelopment and runoff my area aint what it used to be.  Half the fun thats left is using quality equipment and enjoying it. Throw away reels sounds like driving a Kia .....

alantani

Alto Mare

Of course not you Alan, that would be like a Ferrari with a wolkswagen beetle engine in it ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

ok, now back to the question.  so, mike, the point is that salt water is bad enough.  mix in some sand with the salt water and it's a deadly combination for any reel.  humor me on this one.  let's say you are going to spend a whopping $20 on a fishing reel.  with 8 to 10 pound test, pretty much any reel will do.  you can easily pull the drag washers out of spool and replace them with greased carbon fiber drag washers.  this will add a whopping $3 to the cost of your reel.  then spool it up with 20# spectra and set the drags using a 2 to 3# lead weight to give you the 20-30% drag setting that you would get with the monofilament.  let's also say that you felt adventurous and cracked open the reel.  this spinner is "straight in and straight out."  now pack the bearings with grease, add a little more grease to the inside of the reel to plug all the holes that the sand and salt can use to enter the inside, and then let's make it a point to NOT use the rod as a walking stick in the surf.  i'm willing to bet that this el cheapo daiwa sweepfire will work pretty well for you. 

um, let's not forget the fresh water rinse, the blow dry and the quick lube for all the moving parts at the end of the day! 

bigmike2121

Thanks guys...all great responses. Bought 2 Penn Battles in the 4000 size. Will be cleaned and rinsed after every salt water use, inside and out! Also picked up a Temple Fork Outfitters rod, 7' MH/Fast action to put one of them on. Other will go on a St. Croix I already have. I'll keep you all posted!