slipping 113h

Started by alantani, July 19, 2009, 03:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

My senator 113h is slipping the gear when trying to land a big fish. I took apart the reel cleaned it and the gears look good. I changed the dog spring and it still slips. What should I do, and what do you think?

check the connection between the pinion gear and the shoulders of the spool shaft.  look for evidence of damage to either side.  it may not be "connecting" solidly enough.  if this is the case, sometimes a heavier pair of yoke springs will do the trick. 

the gears themselves can't slip against each other unless the gear teeth are shredded.  the "pinion gear to spool shaft" connection is most likely if the spool is "slipping.  a stuck dog is more likely if the handle flies backwards on you. can you let me know how it works out?  thanks!  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Alan I took it apart again and it was the inside of the pinion gear, that connects the spool shaft, was worn out. I ordered another one and should get it in a few days. Thanks

alantani

I got the new pinion gear and put it in and it works fine, thanks again.

alantani

Alan: While spooling  One of the Penn 113's that you worked on for me it began to "skip" as the spool neared capacity.  I was filling the spool with 100 yards of 100 # Dacron backing, and 300 Yards of 80 pound Power Pro under tension.  With about 50 yards left, about every third or fourth revolution the handle would skip about one fourth turn, then "catch" and continue to turn the spool. It seemed as if something was disengaging and then re-engaging.  .  No noise involved.  The drag works smoothly.  

Subsequently, I have mounted the reel and reeled up a 32 oz lead and cannot replicate the malfunction.  I only use this reel for tuna.  Just wondered what your thoughts are.  I am thinking I will use it this season and send it back to you with my next batch of reels for you to go through.

On a different note, I bought a couple of Daiwa SG50H reels along with some other tackle.  Are they worth going through?  I have about $30 in the pair.  Both are working currently.

Best regards, Rod

hi, rod!  short answer.  if the handle moves forward and then catches again, you have to send it back to me.  that is a known problem with the penn 113h that is very rare.  i am absolutely happy to crack it open and make it right.  just get it to me anytime.  make sure you write "rush, warranty work" on the outside of the box so it does not go into the regular line.    my cell # is 408-219-1149.  call if this happens again so i can get a better idea of the problem.  

the last month has been a total blur.  it was a red side plate 113h, right?  chrome spool or aluminum?  bar frame or graphite?  my first though is that the pinion gear might actually disengage from the shoulders of the spool shaft.  i have seen this only once.  it results from some initial damage to the spool shaft and gets worse every subsequent time that it occurs.  the only easy fix that i found is to clean out the pinion gear and make sure it travels up and dosn on the spool shaft easily.  in can also install a pair of extra heavy yoke springs and a stainless steel yoke.  the heavy duty springs place more force on the yoke, which in turn place more force downward on the pinion gear to get it to properly seat onto the shoulders of the spool shaft.  what will happen over time is that the pinion gear will wear into the original brass yoke, which is why a stainless steel yoke is needed.  it's a 5 minute fix.  

is it possible that you have a spool rub?  if you have a bar frame, it might torque under pressure.  there is a procedure to check for that, but it does not always work.  less likely is damage to the spool, outward force would have to crack the spool.  that would be extremely unusual.  gear damage is possible as well.  if you have a single tooth of the main gear that is damaged, then you will notice a "hitch" that occurs once every full revolution of the handle, and it will occur in exactly the same place.  for instance, it might occur once every revolution at the 2 o'clock position, every time.  if you have damage to the pinion gear, you will feel that "hitch" 3.25 times per full revolution of the handle or 13 times when you turn the handle 4 times.  it you have multiple teeth that are damaged on both the main and pinion gear, it gets pretty crazy.  

the daiwas are nice reels and are well worth working on.  send them all back.  alan

Alan:  Thanks for the quick reply.  Short answers out of my head.  Reel at home.  No hitches, tics, clicks or grinding.  This one has Maroon sideplates, chrome spool, metal bar frame, black handle.   Spool is loaded, and turns freely and smoothly now.. Drags are silky.  Turning handle while applying tension ( holding down on spool ) does not result in previous problem. 

After reading I will throw this out.   I had considerable tension on line while spooling and there was no problem until the spool was almost full.   If some how the angle got too great across the face of the spool would that some how warp things enough to cause the skip?  Then when I relaxed the tension it would line up again?  Just a thought. 

Anyway will send it back immediately if it happens again, or when I send the other reels to you.

Best regards,
Rod

naw, it should not have skipped.  if this does happen again, you know it will happen when you are hooked on a fish of a lifetime.  if this reel is "light duty" only, it's ok.  if it's anything heavy duty, let me look at it again.  alan