Saltist BG 20 H

Started by SoCalAngler, July 24, 2011, 02:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I just got a new Saltist BG 20 H and did a pre fishing teardown, service and rebuild. I loaded this reel with 50 lb spectra and am looking at fishing it with 20 or 25 lb short topshot's. Well before the service I was getting 11 lbs of drag out of this reel fully buttoned down, plenty for the test I plan to use. When I opened up the reel and inspected the drag washers and stack I noticed what looked like excessive oil and not grease coating the fiber and metal washers. It didn't look to me like they got contaminated from bearing oil but the oil was used to lube the washers as it went all through the drag stack coating all surfaces. I didn't like the look of this so on reassembly I just wiped off the extra oil with a paper towel. I didn't add Cal's grease to them as they were pretty much already coated before hand with the oily substance. After reassembly I measured the drag pressure again and I'm now getting closer to 15 lbs of drag and their still just as smooth.

I just wanted to give anyone who may care a heads up about what I found in my reel. I have not had the chance to open any other BG series Saltist reels so I don't know if this is common or it was just a fluke with my reel. 

alantani

thanks for the heads up! i'd like to have this moved to the spinner section in a bit.  sounds like a great reel.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Feel free to move it anywhere you feel ot is best but the BG Saltist is a conventional reel.

alantani

ugghh!  sorry, i'm thinking of the black gold spinners.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Billy V

I know its an older post... but I bought a new old stock Saltist 20 H (the old silver model) and found an oily set of carbon fiber in the reel.

It was a surprise, as the reel was bought New. Didn't think they would be in there. I was in the process of installing a new set of carbotex CF drag washers with Cal's grease (which I did anyway).

The washer under the gear set was not CF, it was a fiber washer.

Bryan Young

The oily set of CF washers are greased with Shimano's drag grease and works just fine.  Most spinners have a fiber washer of some sort under the spool.  I change this out, but you have to be wise of the diameter and thickness especially so that it doesn't negatively affect how the line lays on the spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Billy V on May 24, 2012, 07:00:17 PM
I know its an older post... but I bought a new old stock Saltist 20 H

The washer under the gear set was not CF, it was a fiber washer.

Change out that Under washer also...   
Its the weak link (it will spin before the Carbontex).  :-)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!