Any advice on how to remove sand from reel?

Started by SNOOK, May 22, 2012, 06:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNOOK

I went fishing on the beach yesterday, I thought the tide was going out. I wast wrong. My shimano calcutta te 400 was completely submerged. I rinsed off as soon as I got home. I completely dissembled the reel today and there is very fine sand everywhere. Is there anything I can soak the reel parts in that will remove the sand. Thanks

Nuvole

Kerosene or alcohol should do the trick, I prefer kerosene.
After soaking and clear from sand, leave then to air dry for a day before re-greasing/oiling.

wallacewt

you may find white spirits better than kero
drink the al-k-hol
cheers

Use extreme caution with the septon grips and the line guide.  Ive ruined 2 sets of grip paddles before I figured out they cant cope with most chemicals.  Also the finish on the line eye guide discolors easily from exposure to many chemicals.

SNOOK

Quote from: Nuvole on May 22, 2012, 08:38:01 AM
Kerosene or alcohol should do the trick, I prefer kerosene.
After soaking and clear from sand, leave then to air dry for a day before re-greasing/oiling.
denatured or rubbing alcohol?

Bryan Young

I soak the parts in WD40.  All the sand will end up at the bottom of the pan.

For alcohol, I use 90% or more rubbing alcohol.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SNOOK

I just tried denatured alcohol. It didn't do much. Most of the sand in the grease, I will try wd-40 hopefully it will eliminate the grease and take the sand with it. THanks

Nuvole

I find oil based solvent like kerosene and turpentine  do dissolve grease better than alcohol,  turpentine's smell pretty strong hence I always use kerosene. WD40 works the best, but its only sold in expensive spray can over my side of the pond.

Nuvole

BTW, try your best not to spin those bearings before you get rid of those nasty sand.

alantani

don't turn the handle, either.  you will damage the gears. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SNOOK

I have the reel parts soaking in wd-40, should I use carb cleaner to remove the wd-40 before I reassemble it?
Thanks John

Nuvole

The calcutta have a bit of paint works & plastic, I start off using the weakest solvent before moving stronger ones.

Tile

Take the reel tatally apart, clean and scrub every piece with water and detergent. Then grease it and put it back together. I had a similar experience with my Penn 20 GTO when sand was blown into it. The sand problem wasn't so bad so I had to clean only the afected parts. 
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

Quote from: SNOOK on May 22, 2012, 05:09:31 PM
I have the reel parts soaking in wd-40, should I use carb cleaner to remove the wd-40 before I reassemble it?
Thanks John
Not necessary.  Just wipe it down and let sit for a day or two for the WD40 to evaporate off.  Should be fine for the rebuild.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Best solution is to keep that reel  off the beach  ;D...or get yourself one of these:
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.