extremely weak drag on 555gs penn

Started by onemako, May 22, 2012, 05:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onemako

I'm bald so have no hair left to pull out.  I have replaced drag washers (carbontex light cal grease on them) metal washers also. I have 5 of these reels and this one is only one with problem. Re assembled carefully 3 times to see if I could spot something bent, etc...
Drag pressure if I crank it all the way down is less than 4 lbs.  Any suggestions beside using it as a boat anchor would be extremely appreciated.

Nessie Hunter

I will assume:
Its not Braided line slipping on the spool..
The Under washer Carbontex also...

So next is, if the Star drag is bottoming out, to place a few select washers/spacers under it.
That should solve the problem.  Keeping fingers crossed!!!!   lol

Many times the new washers & Plates are just a silly mm Thinner, build it up with washers under Star Drag.....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

onemako

thx  Nessie no prob with braid.  Where are you talking about placing the shims  kinda new to this repair business.  thx for the reply

Bryan Young

Yup.  If you can get your hands on another SS washer to thicken up the drag stack, that might just do it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

Take off the handle, then the star drag..   Washer/spacer there will do the job..
Then replace the Star & Handle... 

If it needs more then add to it, less use a thinner washer... 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

If the star is not bottoming out, it might be as simple as too much cals.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

onemako

thx for suggestions, about to try them.  Very mild cals, grease.  Drags in proper order. Ok the spacer will go basically on top of the bearing which is under star drag. That was what had me confused. Didnt know if it needed spacer under bearing or on top  thx fellow fishers I will try the spacers.  I think I tried everything else. Will advise if this works.  thx again onemako

onemako

Oh well I have reached my wits end. 
Tried 3 spacers under star (neg)
Tried adding additional fiber washer (neg)
Tried adding additional metal washer (neg)
Made sure not too much grease  (neg)

Guess I'll wear good glove and apply thumb pressure on line.
I retraced my fishing with this reel and did have a large shark  400 lb that fought for awhile. Could the frame gotten slightly torqued that is not noticeable to the naked eye. My first assumption was burned up drag but as stated I replaced all drags in proper order to start with.   

Bryan Young

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/555gs.pdf

The carbontex washers that was used, did it have ears on them?  Based on the schematics, the washers should have 6 ears.  That means that the meal washer will be keyed.  If you carbontex washers does not have ears, that is your problem.

I believe Penn call these Versa-Drag or something like that because you can stack the drag washers in different configuration to achieve different max drag settings.  Untilizing 1 or 3 CF drag washers.  I cannot think of anything else that could be affecting your drag.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

onemako

Hi Bryan  Yep they had ears and metal washers are keyed. The washer setup is proper its something Im missing or a bent piece so small its undetectable

Bryan Young

Is your gear stud stripped where it's skipping threads and it cannot tighten down any further?

It's a simple and effective reel design, I cannot possibly think of anything else without seeing the reel myself.

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 23, 2012, 09:09:29 PM
Is your gear stud stripped where it's skipping threads and it cannot tighten down any further?

It's a simple and effective reel design, I cannot possibly think of anything else without seeing the reel myself.

Ditto........ ???
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

borchcl

Spool slipping on the spool shaft? Your getting short of possibities...

onemako

Gear stud is in perfect shape, clean as a whistle...   How would you determine if spool is slipping on the shaft.