Broken AR Bearing on 965

Started by Keta, May 23, 2012, 03:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I had a 965 dropped off yeasterday with a large piece of the inter race/sleeve broken and missing and a cracked AR bearing, has anyone seen this?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tile

Are there any signs of corrosion on the antireverse bearing and its sleeve ?
In solid fiberglass we trust

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tile

There is a possibility that the steel from which the antireverse bearing is made of is a bit brittle. he brittleness led to the cracking problem. Pull out the bearing outer case and the sleeve and put a new one in  :) .
In solid fiberglass we trust

Taily

I've had one twist and fail in opposing directions at either end of the AR bearing. The more obvious reasoning for this was either no lube in the bearing from new or salt water intrusion washing the substandard lube away at the handle end causing more wear/pawl grip at the handle end and then eventually failure at that end (the handle began to bind as the bearing dug into the sleeve). There was no green corrosion, however there was a small amount of pitting present. The amount of twist in the AR bearing (sorry, didn't think to get a pic at the time) pointed to it not being all that brittle in construction. I understand that it had been spooled with 80lb braid and was being fished with a locked-up drag against a big fish.... In other words, fished beyond its limits.

This was in a CS topless. The rest of the reel seemed to hold-up well to the abuse from what I can see.

Regards,

Dave.
Nunc est bibendum....