Penn Fathom

Started by michaelc, May 24, 2012, 01:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelc

These reels look the goods on paper. Are there any in use with members?

The "anti reverse bearing and silent backup ratchet" is the same description given to the new Penn Torque.
Considering these reels are rated for 25lb of drag I was wondering what style the backup ratchet was....any ideas?

redsetta

G'day michael,
It's a multi-tooth ratchet with an Ambassadeur-style silent dog.
The 10 and 15 have one silent dog, while the 25 and above have two, as per the pic below.
Hope that's what you're after.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

michaelc

Thanks very much, that was what I was after.  I think I will order a 25N to try.

CapeFish

I have a 40, they have a double dog system. casts very nice but can't comment yet on durability. They do seem well made though, I am a bit concerned though about saltwater inside the spool with the live spindle system if the reel gets dunked a lot.

Mad Snooker

I've got a 25N, a 30 and a 40, guess I like them. All were ready to fish out of the box, appropriate grease everywhere. As stated, they are great casting reels and have done well for me against cobia, muttons, grouper and tarpon.  Would like to see Penn put out Versa-Gears in a 4.something like the new Torques have.

michaelc

I have read that the Torque gears are not compatible, but they must be very close!

Is the Fathom a contender for the "mini Baja Special" or as close as we are going to get?