Penn Sleeve punch

Started by johnachak, May 24, 2012, 07:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnachak

Hi all, I've been searching the site but this tool has eluded me. I'm a newbie and if this is a repeat of a previous one, I'm sorry

I see in the how to articles on Penn reels that the sleeve (The sleeve for the drag stacK) can be removed with a small punch. I really would like to know what size that would be so I could order / find one. .
Thank you, and sorry if this is a repeat.
John

Bryan Young

Hi John,

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I made mine out of an old SS rod that I found and subsequently make one out of an old nail punch that I got at a garage sale.  Put it in a drill, spin in the opposite direction as the grinder and work it down until it fits.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Cheap enough to get a set from places like HF, and useful for other things as well.  The size is 1/16".
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

johnachak

Wow, Thank you gentlemen.... I have a Harbor Freight nearby and I just might try to make one if I can find a small SS rod. I like to have a spare.
Again,
Thank you!
John

alantani

i use a 1/8th inch pin punch.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

i think someone on here also mentioned adapting a watchmakers screwdriver set.$5 a set

day0ne

I use a small nail with the sharp end cut off.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Makule

Quote from: alantani on May 25, 2012, 01:22:57 AM
i use a 1/8th inch pin punch.

If you can use a 1/8" punch, then I obviously don't understand what is being punched out.  I assumed it was the retaining pin used to hold the sleeve to the shaft.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Irish Jigger

I am sure Alan meant a 1/8" pin punch with the end ground down to a little under the Retaining Pin diameter which is 1/16" (0".0625) ;)

alantani

oops, sorry, it's a 1/16th's inch punch.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makule

Quote from: alantani on May 26, 2012, 12:40:51 AM
oops, sorry, it's a 1/16th's inch punch.....   :-\

Had me going (crazy) for a moment.

coastalobsession

I use a small stainless screw driver and cut off the head on it.
Good Luck
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Bill B

Gotta love Harbor Freight...like a Toys R Us for tools....once bought a set of 3/4" drive and socket set (the sockets run from 7/8 to 2" 21 pieces total)....because the price was too good to pass up!!!around $34.00 (US)....didn't need it, just couldn't pass up the deal....only used the sockets to drive an axel seal into a Ford rear axel...but if they ever need to remove the propeller shaft nut from the Queen Mary...I'm their guy... ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Quote from: day0ne on May 25, 2012, 04:39:54 AM
I use a small nail with the sharp end cut off.
Me too.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

I have a punch set I isualy use but have used a short piece of paper clip held with needle nose pliers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain