bullet proof jigmaster

Started by snagger, May 25, 2012, 11:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snagger

ok fellas need some info on jigmasters. i want to build a good strong jigmaster. i need info on the different classifications 500, 500s.501 etc.american made stuff . i dont think i want to go with the accurate or tiburon side plates that would give up the quick change feature of the side plate. i like the fact that i can carry the guts of the reel in my bag rather than a whole reel.what should i be buying thats available now and what should i be searching for on ebay and the internet.thanks fellas

Bryan Young

Depending on what line you will be using, but I'd choose 501.  I love narrow reels esp. since spectra came out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

I'm with Bryan, I like the narrow 501's (4.0:1)  and the 506's (5.0:1).   On the 500S the left hand side plate is the quick change side vs the handle side on all other jigmasters. I think the 500S was only made for a couple of years.
John

BurningHeart

Quote from: john2244 on May 25, 2012, 11:59:48 PM
  On the 500S the left hand side plate is the quick change side vs the handle side on all other jigmasters. I think the 500S was only made for a couple of years.
John

I have a 500S and I really like it. The whole quick change plate on the left side was a little confusing at first but I got used to it quickly. It has a Tiburon narrow frame and spool and Newell gears added.

redsetta

That's a beauty BH, thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

doradoben

I agree with Bryan. I also like the narrow version of these reels more. I have 2 501's that I use to bottom fish in So. Cal. Both are spooled with 300 yards spectra over monofiliment (as a filler). I have 2 506's for surface fishing. They have ball bearings instead of spool bushings & a faster ratio.

The quick take-down feature makes the reel easier to service the spool bearings, but I've never changed a spool on a boat. If a different line class is required, I just use another outfit. The narrow Penns were discontinued at least a decade ago & new/good spare spools are costly.   

I think the 2 biggest improvements that can be made on these reels is a frame change like BurningHeart's very nice example of an older 501 & a Penn 24-56 handle. Neither one of these changes are necessary, but in my opinion, they make a very fishable reel even better.

Danhans

beautiful reel BH..
is 501 a good caster from pier or jetty?

George4741

Snagger,
If you want a bullet proof (or at least bullet resistant ;)) jigmaster, then you need an Accurate or Tiburon 501 frame, steel gears, and stainless gear sleeve.  Those frames won't flex and a narrow spool distributes the stress more evenly on the spindle and bearings.  Also a Penn aluminum or Newell spool and a Penn 24-56 power handle.  I'm sure I left something out, but that's for starters. ;D

George
viurem lliures o morirem

BurningHeart

Quote from: Danhans on July 04, 2012, 03:28:15 AM
beautiful reel BH..
Is a 501 a good caster from pier or jetty?

Its not too bad although I don't do much jetty or pier fishing. I do more sportboat stuff, it casts decent(approx. 40-50yds) but I'm gonna put some bearings in place of the bushings so I can get more distance.