Drag washer materials

Started by Dave RI, May 26, 2012, 01:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave RI

Hi Guys ,

I have been making drag washers for customers reels , but the company i purchased the material from is out of bussiness now , Can anyone give me information on where i can get sheets of woven carbon sheets ? I have been doing some alteration on some reels as well looking to get into this even more in the future . Thanks in advance !!

Dave Morton
Beavertail Rod ANd Reel   

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dave RI

Thanks Alan !! I did check them out and it is really expensive for the material , i need to order a minimum of 10 sheets it would be about 800 depending on the thickness . will keep l;ooking around or just go to smoothdarg for washers

Thanks

alantani

the investment that you have to make is huge!  that is the reason that smoothdrag has zero competition.  it is something i would NEVER consider. 

Clem

I think Dawn sells it by the sheet also? at least the small size sheet

davo

Hi Guys

Sorry that this if off the topic, but I have a couple of sheets of carbon paper, what would be the best way to cut your own drag washers. I have also heard that if you don't cut them right the ends will Frey.

Clem

I have a punch kit..but if its not too thick you can cut it with a good pair of scissors and finish it with a file etc

Makule

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

QuoteI have a punch kit..but if its not too thick you can cut it with a good pair of scissors and finish it with a file etc
x2.
The CF dust can be quite irritating, so best avoid getting too much on the skin (or in the lungs).
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dave RI

Thanks for all the help on this guys !!!! I contacted Smoothdrag and they carry sheet material which i will order this week , I am not sure about the carbon fiber on the dragon plate sight it looks to slick for drag washer material ? Maybe i am wrong i cut my own washers using a shim stock cutter and i am in the process of building a cutting fixture to sell , you see i am a tool and diemaker and we have have our own machine shop so things like this are right up our alley will keep everyone posted on our progress , anyone here interested in one of these fixtures when the time comes ?? Thanks guys 

Dave
Beavertail Rod And Reel   

alantani

if you were going to get into the offshore reel business, we are sorely in need of a guy that upgrade the old finnors to greased carbon fiber......   :-\