Why are newells so popular?

Started by Biggameaddict, May 28, 2012, 06:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggameaddict

Hey guys i want to know why these newells are so popular here in the west coast cause i always see them for sell used but with outrageus pricesbut dont know why :-\ are they built well or something? Cause for the price they go for you can buy stuff that are way better and can also handle braid. Can someone give me somone give me some info on this cause it looks like im late. And what do the different numbers and letters mean like p-332 and s-332 or 332-5? Thanks.

" I fish therefore i see the world in color"

doradoben

I think the short answer is they cast well & are simple. They are a favorite of the So. Cal. boat crews... The prices have gone up since the factory closed. Before, the gear was reasonable new or used.

332-5 is 320 yards of 30 lb. with 5 to 1 gear ratio.

Makule

As doradben stated, they are light (therefore easy to case).  Don't know of another reel with comparable line capacity that has comparable weight.  Additionally, they can be readily converted to higher speed gears.  The downside is that they are not very durable (relative to Penn Senators, for example), the brakes are not very strong (higher the gear ratio, lower the drag) , and there is no good indication whether the reels/parts will ever be made again.  That "the company will be back in operation in about 3 months" has been heard from "reliable sources" for a lot longer than a year, so 3 months after which point is unclear.

The prefix letters are the model designations (including some that don't have a letter), with "P" supposedly being the best model.  The numbers indicates line capacity, so  higher numbers mean larger capacity.  The suffix indicates gear ratio.  So, for example, an S454-5 signifies an "S" model, 454 yards of line, with a 5:1 gear ratio.  These days, guys mess with the reels so much that those indicators may not be accurate.

Do a search for Newell model numbers and you can find a more detailed explanation.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

day0ne

Quote from: Makule on May 28, 2012, 08:15:57 PM
The prefix letters are the model designations (including some that don't have a letter), with "P" supposedly being the best model.  The numbers indicates line capacity, so  higher numbers mean larger capacity.  The suffix indicates gear ratio.  So, for example, an S454-5 signifies an "S" model, 454 yards of line, with a 5:1 gear ratio.  These days, guys mess with the reels so much that those indicators may not be accurate.

Do a search for Newell model numbers and you can find a more detailed explanation.

The 454 in the S454 means 540 yds of 40lb line. The first digit is the lb test and when you add a zero to the last two, you get the amount of line, i.e., 4(40lb)54(+0=540yds). The "P" series has aluminum sideplates and spools, the others have graphite
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Jim

Quote from: doradoben on May 28, 2012, 06:03:53 PM
I think the short answer is they cast well & are simple. They are a favorite of the So. Cal. boat crews... The prices have gone up since the factory closed. Before, the gear was reasonable new or used.

332-5 is 320 yards of 30 lb. with 5 to 1 gear ratio.

Bingo! They cast a small live bait like a sardine very well because of their graphite spool.
Simple in design and really pretty durable with minimal maintenance. Priced reasonably even now if you really look around, ebay, classifieds on message boards etc.
Up thru 40# they are my first choice on a long range trip.

Makule

Quote from: day0ne on May 29, 2012, 05:08:35 AM
Quote from: Makule on May 28, 2012, 08:15:57 PM

The 454 in the S454 means 540 yds of 40lb line. The first digit is the lb test and when you add a zero to the last two, you get the amount of line, i.e., 4(40lb)54(+0=540yds). The "P" series has aluminum sideplates and spools, the others have graphite

Thanks for the correction.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

doradoben

The 220-5, 229-5, 322-5, 332-5 are excellent choices. For what it's worth, I think the reels that start with "4" (440, 454) are the least desirable because they are larger reels with the same drag system as the smaller reels. Jigmaster size washers will give jigmaster stopping power while having large capacity of heavy line. For a larger size reel, I'd choose a Newell 533. It's the same physical size/ line capacity as a Newell 440, but has larger drag washer & stronger gears. 

Biggameaddict

So people go after it cause its light and simple? I dont even wanna start!!!! So which model woukd be best for tossing heavy irons and surface irons? :)

Jim

Quote from: Biggameaddict on May 30, 2012, 12:14:52 AM
So people go after it cause its light and simple? I dont even wanna start!!!! So which model woukd be best for tossing heavy irons and surface irons? :)

I like the 533's for this. Bigger drag, lots of line cap. 40# mono, 8+ft rod, wing it out there!!

doradoben

"Which model is best" depends on what the target fish is. This helps decide the line class that you will choose. In So. Cal. a 322 or 332 with 25 or 30 lb might be a good choice for surface irons. In southern Baja a 533 with 40 or 50 lb might be a better choice for wahoo bombs or raider jigs. 

Makule

In Hawaii, many people prefer, and use, the 454 series for GT.  Many 100+ lb. GT have been pulled up with this reel.  Line capacity and brakes are not as high/strong as the larger models, as previously stated, but they seem to be adequate for the purpose.  The 454 are used with 80 lb. mono, sometimes with 60 lb. mono backing.  They'll fill up to about 300 yards.

My experience has been that the 454 is very light and easy to cast.  Certainly, the 500 series, being heavier with more line, does not cast quite as far.  It's a trade-off, like most things.

Keep in mind that Newell reels were made with certain criteria in mind (E.G., light weight, corrosion resistance, ease of castability, adequate strength to bring up good size fish).  Other reels, like the Penn Senators, were made with other criteria profiles (E.G., durability/strength, cost, ease of maintenance/repair, corrosion resistance).  With the casters in Hawaii, light weight and casting ease seems to be the top priority.  To a large degree, they will sacrifice line capacity, braking strength, and durability for the lighter weight and high retrieve speed.  Their view is that one will spend more time casting than pulling up a fish, so that function should be made as easy as possible (I do not share this point of view, but I am from the age of dinosaurs, and you know what happened to them).

Biggameaddict

Lol  i think in the end im gonna buy a abu 6500 and mag it like those long distance casters and use it. Ive never tried newells but corrosion resistance and and function is good for me i dont mind it being simple or lightweight. I guess im a dinasour too 8).