Penn 970 left side bearing assembly

Started by floating doc, May 28, 2012, 06:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

I am attaching a photo of the parts that I have left after a teardown of my 970. The 980 and 990 have the same left side bearing assembly.

Central Florida

floating doc

OK, here's an intact assembly from my 990. I can't get this one apart to see how it all fits together.
Central Florida

floating doc

OK, I give up trying to download my last photo. It just won't upload.  I had a photo of the other side of the cupped washers; the photo probably isn't needed on here anyhow.

So, how do these install? I might have more parts here than needed, just to make it interesting.

[/img]
Central Florida

floating doc

Forty six views, no replies. Red snapper season opens on the first of June, and that's why I bought this reel.

This will be my first time fishing offshore since 2003. Help, please.. :-[
Central Florida

alantani

let me see if i can find one and get the order. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

As one of the 46"Viewers" I feel guilty about this. :)
I am not familiar with this particular Bearing housing but imagine that it is a little more sophisticated than the one commonly used in some Penn Special Senators.
My advice would be to carefully extract the knurled retaining ring using a "pick" etc.
Make a note of how the parts are arranged in the Bearing Housing ie ,knurled retaining ring, plunger,spring and ball bearing. There may be an additional shim washer in there too.
Clean/oil parts and reassemble.
Good Luck. ;)

redsetta

x2 on Tom's post - I was also one of the 46, but haven't seen a housing quite like this before.
Dismantling the complete unit may the best way forward.
However, if I were to hazzard an educated guess, I'd say they go together as numbered below.
(That said, I'm not convinced the two knurled 'caps' 5/6 sit atop one another.)
Looking forward to hearing how it works out.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Nessie Hunter

I would agree with Redsetta.   Looks like a very logical order.....

Only Schematic I could find, its for the 970 mag.  
Doesnt show the order in that end cap!!
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/970.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

i was thinking 1, 2, 3, 6, 5, and 4.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Two knurled Retaining Rings (5&3)!  I am curious as to  where 3 goes. :-\

redsetta

G'day Tom,
There appears to be a step within the housing into which 3 would fit, holding the spring plate in place and preventing it from pushing on the bearing.
I assume 5 (the larger knurled ring) has to go on top of 4 (the bearing) to hold it in place, as per standard Senator housings.
Looking at the complete unit, the top/final insert isn't the large knurled ring, but appears to be the brassy one of similar dimensions (ie 6).
Looking forward to seeing the actual arrangement.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Porthos

Just disassembled the one from my 970 that I bought used off of Craigslist last year.

Before:

After (arranged in order of extraction with the rightmost part coming out first):

Seems I have fewer parts than floating doc. Unable to disassemble any further.

floating doc

Fewer parts! Of course, that makes sense! There was no way to get it back together with the parts I had posted in the photo.

That leads to the next question: where did the extra parts come from? :P

I used the bearing from my 990 (the other bearing in the photo) and fished with the reel last week. I wish I would have bought one of these when they were new; what a nice little reel!

It worked pretty well as a light jigging reel, although the drag was a little jerky. I hadn't fished with it before, but the drag seemed smooth when I got it. I greased the drag lightly with some Cal's, so maybe if I left one of the parts out, it could cause the spool to bind. It cast ok, but didn't seemed to sound right. The normal sound of my 990 and 980 was different, although I can't describe it.

I started training for a new job the day after I got home, so I haven't tried to reassemble the bearing again. I'll follow up here when I do.

BTW, I found a 980 locally that I'm going to buy to complete the set.
Central Florida

Irish Jigger

I understand that Penn modified these bearings in the past. Perhaps akfish could help out here  as I have never worked with these bearings.

Porthos

Before the breakdown of my bearing, the whole unit could be tighten ALL the way down and there would still be a "fair" amount of side-to-side play in the spool--more than I liked. I made one modification in the reassembly--added a small brass washer that could fit all the way to the bottom of the cup. This allow tightening the bearing to the point where there's no side-to-side play in the spool and still NOT be all the way screwed in like before.

Then I backed it off a "hair" to allow the "bit" of play that seemed more appropriate.

Final sequence going back into the cup (1st to last): washer, spring assembly, bearing, knurled ring.