TORIUM 14 DOG AND SPRING UPGRADE

Started by LTM, May 29, 2012, 04:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hey Folks,

Will the parts for the Torium 16, 20 & 30 [upgrade to to the trinidad DC pawl (TGT 1303) and pawl spring (TGT 1304)] work for the smaller Torium 14?  If not, anyone know the correct part numbers?

Leo 

alantani

good question.  the trinidad DC dog and spring will not work in the trinidad or torium 14.  too bad.  it would be a nice upgrade. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LTM

Darn it!.  Thanx Alan for your quick reply; I was considering the Torium 14 vs Saltiga 20 for a 12/15# star drag reel.  Any recommendations?

alantani

for this size, get the daiwa.

daiwa didn't tell anyone, but all of their reels now have greased carbon fiber drag washers.  the advantage of the trinidad and torium was the ability to add a spring loaded dog.  that is not the case with the torium 14, so go with the reel that already has a carbon fiber drag washers and save yourself the cost of the upgrade. 

LTM

Alan,

Aside from the Saltiga now coming with carbon drags, would the Torium 14 be a better value than the Saltiga ($150 vs $400). I know the Torum is cast aluminum vs machined billet aluminum, however this is just for 12/15# test.  I own some Saltiga's and love the reels, but when I can save some $$$ and not sacrifice performance and durability why not?

Leo

alantani

i dunno, it's alot of money to spend for that small a fishing reel.   :-\

michaelc

How about a penn fathom 12, already has carbon drags.  Also has a adjustable centrifugal break system.$200

LTM

Michael,

Im going to have a look at those Penn Fathom's (and the 12), for they keep coming up in the discussions as alternative's when others inquire about reels.  I've really got away from Penn reels over the decades (only have two 113HN's and a 113H left).  Thanx for the suggestion.

Leo

SoCalAngler

If your looking for the Torium equivalent in the Daiwa line check the Saltist BG line like the BG20H. Its around $180 but on sale I have seen them for about a buck fifty. The Penn Fathom 12 or 15 at $200 is worth the extra money IMO and if you can find them on sale even better. Now if you don't need a metal frame check out the Daiwa Sealine line of reels, great bang for the buck or see if you can find a new Penn 525 mag.

Joker

Was so excited when I saw this topic.

Such a pity that the dog and spring cannot be upgraded.

I have the Torium 14, and for the application, its a little monster :). I use it to cast off the beach and even the rocks.

I have the Tor 20 and Tor 30 which have the dog and spring upgrade. Just that extra insurance.
I LOVE
it when
MY WIFE
lets me go fishing

LTM

Thanx Gents,

I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Once again the "Penn Fathom" gets "highly-favored" recommendations.

SoCal , man "you were right" when you told me a couple of months ago when I first joined this forum to evaluate the reels/gear that I have and see what basic mods you need first (drags, bearings, grips, handles, cams, type of braid, etc....  :o ) before buying other equipment/gear.  Man, the upgrades I need to "square-away" my reels cost as much if not more than a Makaria reel.  However I have a "definite real need" for something like the Torium14 class of reel and Im definitely going to check out the Fathom 12. 

So..., since you guys keep mentioning the Penn Fathom.  PLEASE DO A TUTORIAL  ::) ::) ::)  Im pretty sure there are a lot more interested parties other than me.  I checked the posts in the Penn section and once again only mention of the Fathom reels.

Thanx again for your assistance,

Leo

bschulzjr

Does anyone know if you can get a smaller dog and perhaps modify the current spring to fit the Trinidad 14 and / or Trinidad 12? 

Bryan Young

I just finished a torium 14 at about 4:00 this morning and I fitted a Penn 6/0  spring, cut now to fit.  I needed to get the reel out and never though of taking picutres (and I was done with that reel to move onto the next).  It worked great.  There wasn't enough tension on the spring to drop it fully down on the rachet, but half way, and when the tension or handle went in reverse, it always set fully.  I was quite pleased, and it didn't add much noise either.  If I ever get another Torium 14, I'll take pics next time.

Essentially, I bent the spring, cut it the length of the dog so that it also rests on the dog stopper, and the other end so that it would fit between the edge of the frame. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fullaphish

I guess my question is.  I want to use this reel as a 20lb bait reel. Why would I need the upgrade we are talking about a drag setting of 5 lbs.  I love a good upgrade too but we sometimes need to ask if it is necessary. 

alantani

changing out to carbontex insures that the drags will never get sticky.....