Daiwa Saltist IAR-bearing slippng.??

Started by Bull, May 31, 2012, 04:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bull

Hi again...

Just bought a Daiwa Saltist 20 Levelwind to use for big baits after pike - This is my first "Bigger" reel of this kind, and Ive up til now been using Revo Toros and Classic ABUs, so I dont have much experience whit these kind of reels.

I noticed, that the IAR-bearing is slipping a bit - Event with the brake full on, I can pull a bit of line of, until the A/R dog takes over, and stops the spool completely - Also Im able to turn the handle just a bit the opposite direction, and getting the spool to turn the wrong way too. Not much, but just a little bit.

Had it appart last night to wipe some of the grease off the IAR bearing, and just give it a tap of oil, but that dident change much.

Question is, if this is normal in these kind of reels, or should I contact the dealer.? Or is there something I can do to change this.??

Read one of Alans brilliant posts on how, the A/R pawl mount broke of the housing, and would like to avoid that problem.

Also does anyone in here have any experience with the mag cast-control, that Hatters Jack ( http://www.hatterasjack.com/ ) make for these reels... Im having some problems avoiding birds-nests, and when throwing 8-15 oz baits, using the tumb to control the spool gets pretty uncomfterbal...

Otherwise Im loving the reel, and the added power it provides compared to my ABU Toros, is a joy.!!

Mvh. Ronnie Bull
www.ondfisk.dk

SoCalAngler

Contact the place of purchase or Daiwa directly. The roller bearing sounds like it is not working, the pawl should only come into play if the the bearing fails. The AR pawl it is more of a backup to the roller bearing in case of its failure.

alantani

sounds like the back up dog is working, even if the AR bearing is not.  how much drag are you using?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bull

Yes, the A/R pawl seems to be working as it should.

I had the reel  at around full drag - Haven't tested it, but according to specs, it should deliver somewhere around 15 pounds of drag on these newer Saltists, meaning I probably had it on about 10-15 pounds when I tested it.

But I have to apply some drag-pressure, to avoid the drag from slipping, to do this test, and get the feel of when the A/R pawl kicks in.

I've also noticed, that when hanging a bait in one of the guides on the rod, the reel cannot keep tension on the line, and hold it tight...

I'm goint to contact the seller, as I think we can agree, that the IAR-bearing isnt dooing its job right.??
Mvh. Ronnie Bull
www.ondfisk.dk

alantani

that is correct.  if the handle is backing up at all, the AR bearing is not working. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!