FISHING REPORT FROM CABO SAN LUCAS

Started by Dominick, June 01, 2012, 03:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

In a word the fishing was "lousy."  Arrived on May 22 and fished the 23-25-27.  The weather was unseasonably cool and the water was downright cold.  The first day out was like fishing out the Golden Gate.  Cold, Windy and no fish biting.  We caught one fish a Sierra and it was snagged in the collar.  It was about 14 inches.  Not only did we not catch any fish but we monitored the boats coming in at La Playita and Palmilla.  The boats were coming in empty.  Down the peninsular in Cabo no boats had flags flying.  I feel sorry for Bruce (Buzz) who joined us and experienced the worst fishing in 15 years.  The kicker was the weather warmed up the day we left.  I had a restful vacation and no fish.  But as they say it's called fishing not catching.  I have no pictures of fish to post. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gman_WC

Dom, Sorry to hear no fish on this trip.
Get you butt home. The weather is warming up and when the winds not blowing
the salmon outside the gate are on the bite. Get ready to troll.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Hey Dominick, good to have you back safe and sound. Would you believe that I actually missed you this week?....Don't get the wrong idea ;D.  If we knew what to expect everytime we went out, we would lose intertest ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

x2  sure is disappointing,later in the year maybe?

El Pescador

In a word the fishing was "lousy." 

Dom, may I offer some words of encourgement and support, as told to my son on a Steelhead fishing trip.
Since 2000, my two sons and I have fished on the Elk River, just one river north of the famed Rouge River, in southern coastal Oregon, about every 3 -4 years.
During our 2007 trip, my youngest son, John, over 2 days, hooked 9 fish, landed 5, 3 of which were native chrome-bright steelhead.  That's a good season for most anglers.
During our 2010 trip, John has NO hooksets, a few bumps, but did not land a fish over the 2 days.  While the rest of us enjoyed our float time catching and releasing beautiful bright native steelhead.
At the end of the second day, while settling up the bill with the lodge owner, he told my son this story:

"Sometimes in life, you're the Dog.
Other times, you're the Hydrant.
Last time, you were the DOG!!!"

I hope that helps, if not, let's still plan out Cabo Marlin/Tuna 2013 trip soon!!!

El Pescador
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

That's a pity Dominick. You're right though - 'fishing, not catching'...
I had a couple of trips planned for the last week in May and it was all looking good on the Monday morning.
By 10am, the weekend trip had been cancelled.
By 11am I'd lost a filling, and by lunchtime I'd spent $300 at the dentist.
The skipper didn't turn up for the Wednesday charter, so the deckie took the boat out.
He steamed for nearly five hours (of a seven-hour trip) and we came home all but empty handed.
Like El Pescador says, '...sometimes you're the hydrant.' ;) ;D
Did six km on the paddleboard yesterday and picked up a couple of kahawai (similar to sierra), so all's well again. ;D
All the best mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

got a night fish planned for tonight.
anchor up and berley(chum)hope you guys havent put the mocka on me
better the hydrant than the grass i suppose.

redsetta

Quotebetter the hydrant than the grass i suppose.
:D ;D
Good luck Wallace - let us know how you get on...
Cheers, Justin

wallacewt

let you know alright justin
bloody skipper just rung up and he done his back in
yesterday.trips off.
dont believe it.   1m seas & less than 5knot wind
i gunna lay on the grass under a hydrant

redsetta

Sorry Wallace - looks like we put the hoodoo on ya! ;) ;D

seaeagle2

I call your experience, the "you should have been here last week" experience.  We took a road trip to a lake in Canada near Kamloops, "they were knocking them dead last week, eh".  A few years later we went to Nootka Sound in Canada, "they're catching them up north, they'll be here next week....", but  hopefully you had some good times just being on Vacation  ;D
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Dominick

Quote from: seaeagle2 on June 02, 2012, 06:01:27 AM
I call your experience, the "you should have been here last week" experience.  We took a road trip to a lake in Canada near Kamloops, "they were knocking them dead last week, eh".  A few years later we went to Nootka Sound in Canada, "they're catching them up north, they'll be here next week....", but  hopefully you had some good times just being on Vacation  ;D
I had a good time.  My original post was a fishing report, not a complaint.  I am not depending on fishing for a living but living for fishing.  Dominick