Sealine X question

Started by Tim McNeely, June 01, 2012, 07:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim McNeely

Just out of curiosity, has anyone experienced gear failure on a sealine X? I've found reports of the dog breaking, but never anyone with stripped gears. So far, my 20 SHAs have been stellar performers with straight 20-pound mono (I had a newbie grab one out of the holder, start reeling against 5 pounds of drag, then crank down the star til the line broke, without damaging anything), but I don't want to push them past their capabilities with spectra and heavier topshots.

john2244

I have had several SL 20's, 30's, and 40's and never had a problem.
John

alantani

the daiwa sealine x reels are great.  they put out plenty of drag and work well with spectra and heavier topshos.  a sealine x 20, for instance, is a great reel for straight 50 or 60 pound spectra and a 30, 40 or maybe even 50# topshot.  i would not use a working drag of 15 pounds, but a 10-12 pound drag setting should be fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tim McNeely

Thanks for the input, guys! I love these little reels. For the money, especially, they're unbelievably well put together. Cast great, great drags, fast... I just didn't want to wreck 'em with too much drag. If I needed 15 pounds of drag and a 50 pound topshot I'd step on up to a 40 or 50 HA. For the 20s, I'm thinking 50 pound spectra for castability, with a 30 pound topshot and an absolute max of 10 pounds of drag.

floating doc

the X series reels appear very similar to my new (used) reel. I think they're called "slosh" reels.

I just bought a SL30SH. How do they compare?

Is this reel also capable of handling spectra in the 50 lb size?

Is a maximum drag of 15 lbs realistic?
Central Florida

alantani

about the same.  the reel will probably make 15 pounds, but it would be happier at 10.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tim McNeely

Sloshes are the step down from the X series. The sloshes have graphite spools, so you can't really mag them. I think the shaft/pinion arrangement is different as well.