50H main gear and drag stack

Started by Keta, June 03, 2012, 03:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Does anyone have a main gear and drag stack from a Daiwa 50H that I can borrow for a few days?  Unuseable scrap that can be measured will work too.  I'd be willing to give a deposit for the return of the parts and if the project works a set of thin SS metal washers to the person that helps me on this.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mai tai

I have a feeling this is in regards to a post on another forum. I lurk there a bit as I did here til I saw this post.

I have had a 50H for 30ish years. It has a tendency to lose the set plate screw retaining nut. I actually bought a second reel at a great price. I have the super smoothies in one and the ht100 washers recommended by Alan. They have both performed very well, and I haven't had to add an extra washer on the ht100 reel. I use them for big game surf fishing in so cal. They get treated pretty rough, lots of sand ans saltwater. I really don't remember which reel has which drag, and I have never measured the drag output.

My only failure of this reel has been on a 150# estimated fish where the heat from the drag on a long run deformed the set plate and made the gear shaft very stiff to turn. I wonder if having the carbontex drags and the additional washers would dissapate the heat better to prevent this in the future? My friend caught a 100# and a couple 50#ers so another larger fish is a possibility.

At any rate, they are both out of service since I can't get Daiwa on the phone to order parts, so I would be willing to box one up and send it to you to measure if you would like. I would like to at least try the additional drag surfaces. Can you send me some contact info?

Let me know.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

floating doc

Central Florida

Keta

Yes, mai tai's parts got here Saturday.  The drawings have been made and will be at the cutter for a small test run Monday morning.

Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

You don't hang around Lee. ;)
Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I can see you becoming very busy producing hard to find precision parts,well done. ;D

Dominick

Quote from: Irish Jigger on June 10, 2012, 03:02:42 PM
You don't hang around Lee. ;)
Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I can see you becoming very busy producing hard to find precision parts,well done. ;D
Right on Lee.  When are you going for an IPO so we can invest in your manufacturing company?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Hey Lee,

Keep us posted on this project I've got a couple 50h's that would love some more carbon fiber ;)
Thanks
Dom

floating doc

Quote from: broadway on June 11, 2012, 01:41:59 AM
Hey Lee,

Keep us posted on this project I've got a couple 50h's that would love some more carbon fiber ;)
Thanks
Dom

Count me in!
Central Florida

Keta

The first run was finished last week but daughter #2 decided she was going to graduate from UO Monday and she expected me to be there.  We had a good time with her and my father flew over from Thailand to visit and see her graduate but I'm exhausted.  Let me know who wants some and how many and I'll start them Thursday.

Mark Twain

floating doc

Central Florida

broadway

I'm in for 2 of those, Lee.
Thanks
Dom