Penn international 20, drag upgrade problems

Started by Gaujo, June 03, 2012, 07:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaujo

I have the original asbestos washer configration, and would like to upgrade to greased cf without having to buy the whole $55 drive plate/dura-drag assembly (the one w the black plastic drive plate).  I bought the intermediate design with the ht-100 glued to the metal plate in the hopes that i could swap it in

I used the old metal plate as it was for the metal drag surface (spool side) and removed the old brass center riser.  This half seems fine.  The problem is the newer drag washer is thinner than the old setup and the screw shafts are too long and protrude through the drive plate wall, inhibiting the function of the dogs.

I tried putting the old discarded metal asbestos doughnut carrier (without brass riser) plate behind the new washer, and this fixed the screws/dog issue, but upon re-assembly the handle was locked up.

Can anyone advise me of how to retrofit the 6a-30 (ht-100) into the original configuration?  I mounted the new washer to the spool, does this cause a problem?  I feel like i'm so close!  Also, as a general rule, does adding more spring washers incdease or decrease drag pressure?

Pic1 is of new trial config
Pic2 is the old configuration
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

kamuwela

looks like you need 6/1-30 but dont quote me on that. i always replace the drive and washer as a unit. try 117dn-30

alantani

the one new drag plate should replace the two pieces that were floating under the spool cap.  this is not a double drag system.  it looks like this. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Gaujo on June 03, 2012, 07:18:37 PM...The problem is the newer drag washer is thinner than the old setup and the screw shafts are too long and protrude through the drive plate wall, inhibiting the function of the dogs...

So use shorter screws. Or cut the old ones off a bit. Or get part 117.

(117 and 6 were a two-part subassembly before they were integrated, such as in the pic above.)

Gaujo

Quote from: alantani on June 04, 2012, 01:15:55 AM
the one new drag plate should replace the two pieces that were floating under the spool cap.  this is not a double drag system.  it looks like this. 

Guys, whats the best way to smooth out the metal drag plate that the cf washer mates to?  Also, i am having issues with my corrosionx leaking out of the nearest bearing and wetting this plate.

kamuwela

you shouldnt need to touch the plate. is the bearing shielded? the spool bearing might have too much corrosion x. you may want to try tsi 301, works great for bearings.

alantani

let the excess corrosion x drain for a while.  things should smooth out on their own under pressure. 

Gaujo

Mr. Tani, should i put the seals back in these inner bearings? I've been running them mostly unshielded.

alantani

Gaujo

It turns out u can use the $22 intermediate drag i bought and it works great.  Just have to mount it on the outside plate instead of the inside like i did.  For folks w the asbestos, u shouldnt need the $54 dura drag config unless u want it over the ht-100.  Want me to do a write up Mr. Tani?

p-deverett

Can you post a picture show how you installed the drag plate?

Thanks
Peter

Gaujo

Step 1, take off drag plate cover
Step 2, pic1 Take out the asbestos washer (trash it)
Step 3, pic2 strip the brass center piece and metal washer off the drive plate
It should look like pic 3 when ur done
Step 4, pic3 mount new 6a-30 washer to the stripped original metal drive plate, and reassemble.