Older Stradic Pawl and Worm Gear Question

Started by seabass_seeker, June 04, 2012, 01:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seabass_seeker

I just received a Shimano Stradic 2000FE. I did the complete teardown and rebuild but it seems as though the pawl is not riding through the worm gear smoothly. When I hold the reel vertically and wind the handle, the pawl seems to bounce on the worm gear; it's even worse if I turn off the anti-reverse and try to reel backwards. When I try reeling backwards, the pawl feels like it gets stuck, or hops out of the track and takes a couple winds before it re-engages. When I open the sideplate and put pressure on the slider/pawl with my finger it all seems to work fine. Does this mean I need more grease on the Drive Gear to keep pressure on the slider?

alantani

check the schematics to see if there is a washer or something missing that would put more pressure on the pawl against the worm. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

seabass_seeker

I did find the schematic here:

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/shimano/Shimano_ST2000FE.pdf

but did not notice anything out of place. There is a small washer that goes under the slider cover behind the pawl but I have that in. I'm not sure what it is at this point, maybe I'll tear it down again and try a different reel grease. I'm currently using Cal's because it's all I have on hand at the moment.

seabass_seeker

Nope wasn't it. Could the IAR be causing issues? I openned it to clean it but I felt like all was well. I'll check it again.

seabass_seeker

Problem solved: I had the pawl bushing in the wrong way. I had tried flipping this around earlier but had neglected to pack it with grease. Now it's good as new! Sweet reel for $20.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

seabass_seeker

My thoughts exactly. Every time I crack one open and put it back together something is always amiss!