What Backing

Started by Gman_WC, June 05, 2012, 02:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

I'm getting my salmon trolling reels ready. They've been cleaned and prepped and I have
pulled the old backing off that had been on for a few years.
In the past I've used cotton cord OR butcher's twine that you would wrap a roast with.
I use Penn narrow113h's with 20# test.
What I want to do is have 200 - 250yds on the reels and don't feel that I need 600yds on each.
I know a few people that say that this type of backing will stay wet and don't do it.
I've never had issues. I Saltex all of my gear down after every day on the water.
It's cheap insurance!
What are you using for backing to take up spool space?
Thanks for your input.

-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

seaeagle2

I got a 1000m spool of the ebay dyneema, so  on a couple of my 113h's I didn't use backing. then I had a spool of dacron so I used that as backing on the rest.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Gman_WC

Well I guess that Dacron or Dyneema would be better than a cotton backing.
It's going to come off after every season to clean the spool and reel.
Maybe I'll just leave the old mono on the spool half full!
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Squirmypug

You could use a smaller reel so you don't need backing  ;D  Or you could do like some here and wax the spool so you don't need to pull all the line off, just fill with mono and when the top gets messed up cut it off and you have more under it.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Gman_WC

Quote from: Squirmypug on June 05, 2012, 10:26:06 PM
You could use a smaller reel so you don't need backing  ;D  Or you could do like some here and wax the spool so you don't need to pull all the line off, just fill with mono and when the top gets messed up cut it off and you have more under it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't want to use anything smaller than a 4/0 for pulling up a 2.5-3# ball all day.
If I were on a downrigger, I would be! I was thinking party boat set-up. Sorry I should have worded my request better ;)
Trolling seems to take it's toll quick on smaller reels that I've used for trolling balls before.

-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i use a thicker diameter mono, cheap one of course... ::)

Nuvole

Quote from: Mel B on June 06, 2012, 02:53:11 PM
i use a thicker diameter mono, cheap one of course... ::)

+1 Cheapest or whatever balance thick mono I can find.

Keta

Quote from: alantani on June 05, 2012, 03:04:49 AM
dacron?

30-50 pound Dacron is what I prefer for backing a reel used for 20-60 lb Spectra (or mono) if I don't fill the reel all of the way with Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on June 06, 2012, 04:51:18 PM
Quote from: alantani on June 05, 2012, 03:04:49 AM
dacron?

30-50 pound Dacron is what I prefer for backing a reel used for 20-60 lb Spectra (or mono) if I don't fill the reel all of the way with Spectra.

Yup, Dacron. No stretch, not too expensive, doesn't rot too fast, and easy to tie knots in. Inexpensive mono is good too, but not cheap crap. I use Berkley Big Game for backing also.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: norcal pescador on June 07, 2012, 05:32:45 AM
but not cheap crap. I use Berkley Big Game for backing also.

exactly, cheap but not crap ;)...i usually use ande or big game...