30lb braid lever drag reels

Started by spearo776, June 05, 2012, 12:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spearo776

looking at getting 2 small lever drag reels for 30lb braid. would like narrow body . will be used for trolling small lures for tuna also jigging. would like capacity to be about 350yds. have been looking at tyrnos 12 and avet sx. though in melbourne here i can't hold and play with the avet, don't know any stockists, so i'm not sure.
what are peoples thoughts on the avets sx for a 30lb reel.? what other small compact reels would you throw in the mix for under $300.?

spearo776

oops , posted in wrong section. please move to correct forum ...... :P

redsetta

G'day spearo,
The SX has about the right capacity (360yds) and drag range (9 strike, 14lb max).
However, service and parts support will be a consideration (you're likely to have to buy online/overseas, ie http://www.tackledirect.com/avet-sx-53-reel-camo-blue.html)
There are a number of options, but it's worth considering a 'Tani' TLD15.
Here's the up-speced unit: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=41.0
From Alan:
Quote...the increased drag range means that this reels can be loaded with 65 pound spectra and topshots of 30, 40 or 50# mono.  all this in a 3/0 sized package!  this reel benched out a 15 pounds of drag at strike before loss of free spool, and had a freespool time of 35 seconds at that 15 pound strike setting.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

SoCalAngler

Quote from: spearo776 on June 05, 2012, 12:21:54 PM
looking at getting 2 small lever drag reels for 30lb braid. would like narrow body . will be used for trolling small lures for tuna also jigging. would like capacity to be about 350yds. have been looking at tyrnos 12 and avet sx. though in melbourne here i can't hold and play with the avet, don't know any stockists, so i'm not sure.
what are peoples thoughts on the avets sx for a 30lb reel.? what other small compact reels would you throw in the mix for under $300.?

Check out a Penn Squall LD and the Daiwa Saltists LD reels. With the Daiwa you could go with a 2 speed for around $300 USD if you needed/wanted one.

michaelc

The Avet doesn't have a AR bearing which is must for jigging.  Top of my list is a Talica 8.  I got mine for $370 delivered aust.  Well worth the extra over your budget.

redsetta

Well done Michael, that sounds like a great deal.
Was that bought online in Oz?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

30 pound braid is awfully skinny stuff.  it would have to be a very small fishing reel!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

michaelc

Ebay Ex US(reelsmart tackle).  The AUS dollar was 1.05 US at the time.  My local tackle shop had the reel at almost $200 over my landed price. Just checked the same guy and the reel(similarTAC10) is $50 more than what I paid.

TAC8 fits 300m of 50lb fine braid just nicely.