Penn 320LD Weaknesses???

Started by buck4570, June 05, 2012, 11:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck4570

Hi Alan,

I have owned a Penn 320LD for a couple years now and have been quite pleased with it's performance.  I recently came across an on-line review stating that the reels were discontinued because they have pretty serious problems. The reviewer stated that the anti-reverse ratchet is made of pot metal and breaks easily. He also stated that the raised area on the frame designed to support the cam is far too thin and also breaks frequently.  This has me a little concerned.  I have read many posts on this site and feel that you and your regulars contributors are some of the most knowledgeable folks out there when it comes to reels.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

Dave

akfish

I wrote the review. I did because I've seen many of these reels -- quit a few charter operators in SE Alaska used to use them -- and they had problems. Of course, I see lots of broken reels and reels that don't have problems may not come in. But this is a reel I can't recommend. Additionally, the early models had a problem with the anti-reverse dog post breaking through the side plate. This was fixed with a new side plate. And it is already becoming hard to get parts for them. BTW: The 330LD had the same problems. Penn has discontinued both models.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tawn

Hate hearing this...I just bought 17 330LD's for spring & fall trolling here on the Chesapeake Bay.   :-\

buck4570

Thanks for the additional information.  Certainly not what I wanted to hear.

alantani

not sure where the reels were breaking down, but i would recommend the following.  first, grease the drag washers.  a stick drag is the leading cause of damage to a reel. second, pack the non-spool bearings with grease.  consider even packing the spool bearing with grease if you are just trolling.  i'll bet these two things will go a long way towards preventing failure.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Greasing the drag washer and packing the bearings with grease helps these and all other reels. But Penn used the wrong metal in the anti-reverse ratchet and cut corners on how they designed the side plates. I wish I could like these reels because when they are new or recently lubed, they feel great. But too many things go wrong too often. I'm sure this is why they were discontinued.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

buck4570

Thanks for the input Alan.  I'll keep it well greased and can hopefully at least get my money's worth out of it.  I think I'll pick up a few spare parts now while they're still available.

redsetta

G'day Buck,
It'd pay to put a bit of Cal's (or similar) on the cooling shield thread too.
I've done two recently that were all but fused to the spool with salt/corrosion.
Also have one at present that the owner had cut squared edges into, so he could force it off in the vice...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

akfish

Getting the cooling shield off these reels can be tough. Sometimes I can get a rubber strap wrench to work. Most often I use a rubber mallet and tap the shield just right to loosen it. But you are right: If you grease it when you reassemble, it will be less of a problem in the future.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

redsetta

Just a note to add on the 320LD.
I worked on one over the past few days that was in pretty bad shape - corroded, broken and missing about half-a-dozen parts.
The two graphite ridges that hold the cam in place had sheared off and the owner had ground off the remainder completely, thinking it wasn't really necessary anyway... :-\
He's of limited means and wasn't keen to spend too much repairing a flawed design, so I figured a way of working with what we had.
I drilled four holes to match the corners of the cam tabs and epoxied in four short posts, cut from a straightened S/S 7/0 hook.

The cam is held firm, the drag's working fine and the reel's got another lease on life.
Naturally, new parts would've been a more elegant solution but, from time to time, the ends justifies the means... ;) ;D
Righto - all the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Clem

Hey Justin

That should do the trick... :)