Help! Trying to clean/rebuild/upgrade a few old Penn Senator Reels

Started by Steve W., June 06, 2012, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W.

Quote from: akfish on June 06, 2012, 11:14:06 PM
Getting  modern drag washers for your 3/0, 6/0 and 9/0 is simple: For the 3/0 just buy three 006 113 drag washers plus another spring washer, 008 060 for the top of the drag stack and you're all set. For the 9/0, you'll need to get a set of metal washers, 007C115, plus five carbon fiber drag washers, 006 115, and you are good to go. The 6/0 is a bit more complicated: If it is a red 114H you'll need a set of metal washers, 007C115, plus five carbon fiber washers, 006 115. If it is a black 114, you'll need six carbon fiber drag washers, 006 114, plus a set of metal washers, 007C114.

Now, if you rebuild the drag this way you'll have great reels. You can add a little by opting for a steel gear sleeve and a carbon fiber washer under the main gear but this are options and unnecessary.

You're the man! Thanks!

Steve W.

Quote from: George4741 on June 07, 2012, 12:29:39 AM
Welcome Steve.  This forum has the most knowledgeable, innovative, and helpful bunch of folks you will ever see on fishing reels. 

If you have the old black 3/0 Senator, then I think the following link may be more helpful.  After all, the 3/0 Senator is just a wide version of the 2/0.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=44.0

Bryan and Akfish offer good suggestions.  Short of the drag upgrades and replacing anything that is broken, there is no real need to upgrade with fancy frames and side plates, yet.  Those senators in stock form have been catching BIG BAD fish since before most of us were born.  I fish with similar reels (as do many others here) and don't feel handicapped.
George

George,

Yea I'm not a big fan of the fancy frames and crap! I like the original black! Thanks for the suggestions!

-Steve

Steve W.

Oh BTW today I was finally able to take off two of the outside chrome rims from the 6/0 side plates... I guess after all these years they had glued on there from all the dirt and grease and junk... Had to take a HAMMER and CHISEL to the damn thing  :o :'(!!!!! Don't worry I was careful and didn't even make a scratch on them!  ;D

Gaujo

Quote from: akfish on June 06, 2012, 11:14:06 PM
Getting  modern drag washers for your 3/0, 6/0 and 9/0 is simple: For the 3/0 just buy three 006 113 drag washers plus another spring washer, 008 060 for the top of the drag stack and you're all set. For the 9/0, you'll need to get a set of metal washers, 007C115, plus five carbon fiber drag washers, 006 115, and you are good to go. The 6/0 is a bit more complicated: If it is a red 114H you'll need a set of metal washers, 007C115, plus five carbon fiber washers, 006 115. If it is a black 114, you'll need six carbon fiber drag washers, 006 114, plus a set of metal washers, 007C114.

Now, if you rebuild the drag this way you'll have great reels. You can add a little by opting for a steel gear sleeve and a carbon fiber washer under the main gear but this are options and unnecessary.

That was an amazing answer.  Exactly answered the OP's really complicated question, correctly in no time flat?  I work in IT, and if this were computers instead of fishing reels you guys would be filthy rich!  This place is like the 24 hr virtual man shed of awesomeness.
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

redsetta

QuoteThis place is like the 24 hr virtual man shed of awesomeness.
;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

Quote from: Steve W. on June 08, 2012, 10:12:42 PM
Oh BTW today I was finally able to take off two of the outside chrome rims from the 6/0 side plates... I guess after all these years they had glued on there from all the dirt and grease and junk... Had to take a HAMMER and CHISEL to the damn thing  :o :'(!!!!! Don't worry I was careful and didn't even make a scratch on them!  ;D

i think what happens is that the plastic swells over the years.  i've seen plenty of stuck rings.  some have even split. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pbmang

I had the same issues with the 14/0 I just rebuilt.  The rings were a bear to get back on, but I finally got them to pop back in place and all was right with the world  ;D

Good luck Steve.  These guys really helped me through my first rebuild, and all the info here made it a piece of cake!

dogdad1

Yup, another successful assimilation, welcome to the 'Collective'!   It's like watching myself all over again, and I do believe I learn something from every post.

I had to Dremel a substantial amount of material off my 9/0 plates to get new rings back on.  All 4 of the old rings had cracked or actually split from the expansion.

makule - you mentioned several differences between the various Senators.  Do the differences signify maybe their age or version, or just to look pretty?
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Makule

Quote from: dogdad1 on July 11, 2012, 01:32:51 PM
Yup, another successful assimilation, welcome to the 'Collective'!   It's like watching myself all over again, and I do believe I learn something from every post.

I had to Dremel a substantial amount of material off my 9/0 plates to get new rings back on.  All 4 of the old rings had cracked or actually split from the expansion.

makule - you mentioned several differences between the various Senators.  Do the differences signify maybe their age or version, or just to look pretty?

Changes were made over the years, but I don't have any information about what changes were made during which year.  Either Penn company or an "antique" reel site would have that information.

Some changes, such as the different spools (i.e., 3-piece brass, to solid cast bronze, to solid aluminum, and sizes) and gears (brass to hardened steel to SS), and bushings to BB were substantive.  Spool width and material were designated with the "L" (light for aluminum) and "W" (for wide).  High speed ("special" Senators were given the "H" designation).  Others were cosmetic.  Reel handle color has been suggested as indicative of age, but that is not my information.  Handle shapes are more indicative.  Decoration of the side plates were also indicative of age.

Sal has a lot of information about this too and he can add to it.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.