SL20SH, Sl30SH Frame Upgrade

Started by borchcl, June 07, 2012, 04:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borchcl

Leo and others have asked for an update on this conversion using Social Fishing parts. The link is http://www.socal-fishing-hunting.com/SL20SH.html . I did both the 20 and 30 conversion. Pretty simple. I haven't fished them yet, but expect performance similar or better than stock units. Here is what they look like.

LTM

Borchcl,

Thanx for sharing the pictures; the frames look great. I take it thet you have the Kolekar 2/0 grips on what appears to be the SL20SH?  That gives me a much better perspective to the size of the grip (had nothing to reference it with). Thanx guy, and let us know about the reels after fishing.

Leo

Joker

Thanks for sharing the pics. Those frames looks like some quality workmanship.

Such a pity they don't mail to different continents. Would be a great addition to my Sl30sh in "darkest" Africa.
I LOVE
it when
MY WIFE
lets me go fishing

borchcl

Your welcome. Yes, they are well made. The overall size of the frame is reduced, yet access to the spool is better. No provision for clicker or rod clamp. I rarely use a clicker, but would like a  rod clamp. Alan's 2/0 and 4/0 handles seemed like the right touch.
Charlie

spottybastard

Looking at it, I dont' see why a skilled/motivated person couldn't drill and tap the bottom of the frame for and re-use the stock rod clamp.

Bryan Young

That 20 conversion is nice.  I like narrow reels, if you already haven't noticed.

I think the other reel has a spinner handle, and that has been my fav for smaller reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

spottybastard

Has anyone who's made this conversion added the Diawa accessory (universal) rod clamp on it?

I think Charkbait sells it for about another $60, but I think there are other cheaper universal rod clamps.

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: spottybastard on June 14, 2012, 09:21:43 PM
Has anyone who's made this conversion added the Diawa accessory (universal) rod clamp on it?

I think Charkbait sells it for about another $60, but I think there are other cheaper universal rod clamps.

Last item, scroll all the way to bottom...
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrd.htm
Looks like a winner to me....

BUT,  $140 Reel, $85+ Shipping  for frame, $60 dollar clamp, $20 Carbontex washers, Time & effort to do the conversion?????
Getting darn Expensive!!!!!!  Pushing a $300 Reel???

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

borchcl

I may, as Spottybastard suggested, drill and tap for the original rod clamp. The problem with these "projects" is that like Toppsy, they just grow.
borchcl

chilidip

BUT,  $140 Reel, $85+ Shipping  for frame, $60 dollar clamp, $20 Carbontex washers, Time & effort to do the conversion?????
Getting darn Expensive!!!!!!  Pushing a $300 Reel???
[/quote]

Or.. pick a used one up for 50-60 bucks.. purchase the frame on sale for $50 (plus shipping.. I bought 4) add carbontex for $20 = around $150 for a hodrodded SL20SH.  It also taught me how to service the reel.  It's made from bar stock aluminum that is stronger than T6061.. with anodized finish.  I don't how he's able to charge only $50.  The same price as a T-bar lite handle.  Do it now before the sale's over.

Btw.. I've used the deckhand style rods for years.. I prefer the comort of having a  reel seat on my rods... my $0.02.

ReelSpeed

Mine are still for sale if anyone is interested: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5104.0 

I have talked to Mike about these.. good guy with great worksmanship.  He isn't "able" to charge $50 for these, I just guarantee he would like to sell the ones he has.  :D 

These are neat reels that are quite fun.  I recommend the tiburon clamp from charkbait for the 30 size..but it will not fit on the 20.  :(  I don't recommend drilling and tapping for the original clamp..mike never did this because of the strength of the aluminum in the section of the reel.  He thought it would tweak the frame...  :-\
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Ron Jones

Is their a difference between the SHA and the SHV frame? More specifically, will these fit my 20-SHV?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

chilidip

The shv reels are compatible with the sha kit that Mike sells.  The SL kit is NOT compatible with the sha/shv reels.  I imagine you can even use the grandwaves on the sha kit.

Thanks for the insight reelspeed.  It's too bad he's taking a loss on them.. They are nicely made.  Great for someone who grew up fishing the sl reels.

Ron Jones

As it happens, my Grandwave is what I first wanted to upgrade, but I don't see a 20W size. I have a 20SHV that I might upgrade, I'm kinda concerned about the lack of clamp though.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

chilidip

Sorry not familiar with what a 20W is.  Does the W mean "wide" or "wave"?  If it means "wide" then I imagine it's different naming convention.. which I assume would be compatible with a 30 size.  Send Mike an e-mail.. he's quick to respond.  If you must have a clamp, the clamp in reelspeed's link looks pretty nice.