Penn 117L

Started by SSOWDERS, June 07, 2012, 03:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

wow, that was way off!  no wonder it did't work right. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SSOWDERS

So, I'm hoping that putting in new HT-100s and a new set of metal washers will solve my problem. Any feedback on that thought?

alantani

clean all the drag washers with an old rag to "raise the grain" and then slap a thick coat of drag grease on the washers.  some of them looked pretty grungy, but try this first before spending $25 on a new set of drag washers. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makule

Are all of the drag washers CF?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

SSOWDERS

Well, now for some more clarification if I may. The Penn schematic shows washer, metal, washer, eared, washer, metal, washer, eared, washer, metal, washer, eared, washer, metal, then beveled. It looks as though I have some of the old thicker washers still in use. My set up goes washer, metal, washer, eared, washer, eared, washer, metal, (2) washers that equal thickness of the others, metal, beveled. Hopefully I am making sense. I seem to be missing a couple carbon washers and an eared metal one. Should I leave the ones I have in the same order or rearrange them differently after cleaning and greasing? Also, do I have to add anything? I'm not sure how high the stack should be in the first place. Some must have been removed for some reason. I apologize if this is hard to follow. Just trying to figure out what I should have with my limited knowledge in this area.

Thanks for your time!

Shane

redsetta

G'day Shane,
Here's how it should look (below).
All non-metal washers should be CF.
Ditch the older asbestos ones.
The eared and keyed metal washers must alternate or the drag won't work as designed.
The last eared washer should be just below the edge of the main gear, while the final keyed washer (#7) should/can be just above it, followed by the thick keyed washer (#86) and bellevilled washer (#8A).
Hope that's of some assistance.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

QuoteAll non-metal washers should be CF.
Ditch the older asbestos ones.

If you keep the old asbestos disks, you'll undo any benefit of having the CF disks (since the old ones seem quite soaked with oil and will slip), especially when you grease them.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

SSOWDERS

Thanks for the insight everyone. I will order some CF washers and set them in the order according to the schematic. Hopefully that gets things working properly. Will let you know how things turn out when I get them. Thanks again!

Shane