Penn 117L

Started by SSOWDERS, June 07, 2012, 03:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWDERS

Well, after looking at this site for several days I decided to take the plunge and tear apart the used 14/0 that I purchsed for cleanup and inspection. I took some pictures along the way to help me through the process. Evidently I didn't take enough! Everything went well until I went to put the drag stack back in and I noticed I had a little spacing sleeve left over approximately 1/4" in height. It does fit over the gear sleeve. I didn't have this part visible in any pictures. Oops! Some schematics that I looked at for the 117L listed a sleeve on top of the drag cover. Others said that there was no sleeve in the 117L but there is one on other Senators. I have one, so please help me with where it goes. I tried it on top of the drag cover and it didn't seem to fit. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations on replacement drag washers to purchase would also be helpful. Sorry for the inexperienced questions!

Thanks in advance!

alantani

those sleeves are needed so that the star can be clamped down and still clear the side plate.  it goes directly underneath the star. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

QuoteSorry for the inexperienced questions!
No worries - all questions are good ones around here...
Welcome aboard, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Hello ssowder, welcome.
Don't feel bad about asking inexperienced questions, we like those, they makes us look good  ;D.
About the sleeve on the 117L, I  have never seen one on that reel. Sometimes during assembly, the sleeve that sits in the main gear comes lose. I believe that's what happened with your reel. You will need to take the gear out again, there is no need for you to open the reel up. tilt the reel with the gear facing down and see if it pops out. if it doesn't, tilt the reel up and ingage the eccentric lever, the gear should come right out when you tilt the reel again. Put that sleeve back in the main gear and don't worry about it, the reel will still work. Let us know if that helps. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SSOWDERS

Thank you all for the help! I will look at it when I get home from work and let you know how it goes. Everyone seems very helpful on this site and it is much appreciated.

Shane

SSOWDERS

Well, that sleeve fit right down inside the main gear and I put the drag stack back in. Thanks for the tip. Now for my next question. The drag range seems off to me. It's either real light or it cranks right down. To get any real drag pressure at all I have to turn the star almost a full turn. The drag range on my 9/0 seems to be much larger. Is this typical of these reels or is this a sign that the drag washers need to be replaced? I haven't fished a 14/0 before.

Shane

Keta

Try to carefuly glue the bushing into the gear so it stays put next time.

It sounds to me like you need a pair of Bellville washers, (), or the Penn spring washer, 8-117,  between the spacer sleeve and the star to buffer your drag.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I don't know what you have there , unless you could show a picture. Try this, you probably have something out of place:
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/117l.pdf

About that sleeve that sits in the gear, although it a good idea to glue it, you don't need to do it if you didn't want to. I have a few of the same, once you drop the drags in, it's not going anywhere.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

always check to see that the slotted metal washer is not riding up on top of the main gear.  it happens more than people think. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 10, 2012, 05:45:35 PM

About that sleeve that sits in the gear, although it a good idea to glue it, you don't need to do it if you didn't want to. I have a few of the same, once you drop the drags in, it's not going anywhere.

The gear sleve and gear stack will keep the bushing in place but it's more for when the reel is dissassembled, I don't need another part falling into the reel part black hole in my shop.  If you do glue them in make sure it's in the right place, I use washers and nuts on a bolt to hold it in place, and do not get glue anywhere it should not be.

Quote from: alantani on June 11, 2012, 05:54:38 AM
always check to see that the slotted metal washer is not riding up on top of the main gear.  it happens more than people think. 

I don't remember where I saw it but sliding a thin "O" ring onto the gear sleeve with the spacer sleeve in place will keep the washers in place when putting the reel back together.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Keta on June 11, 2012, 12:31:53 PM
e=1339394078]

I don't remember where I saw it but sliding a thin "O" ring onto the gear sleeve with the spacer sleeve in place will keep the washers in place when putting the reel back together.

That's a great idea.

Alto Mare

You know, there was a guy that gave us a similar tip a while back:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=333.msg570#msg570
I wonder what happened to him :-\.

Keta

That's a better idea.

Mark Twain

SSOWDERS

Here is the stack the reel came with. Hope you can see how it is laid out. Doesn't match the schematic with eared washer placement etc.

SSOWDERS

Another pic to help show what I have. Any info on why this drag is so light until it was cranked way down would be appreciated. Thanks!

Shane