Older Penn 50 locked up

Started by Sea-Hunt, June 09, 2012, 03:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea-Hunt

Newbie here so I hope someone can help me.  I have an older Penn 50 (no other letters or numbers) that locked up on me the other day.  After reading the other similar disassembly procedures on this site, I still need some help.

I took the reel apart, but here is my question.  I'm down to the shaft and gear assembly still stuck in the reel.  Part #'s are 5, 119, and 134 (118 screws did come out).  The gear assembly on this reel is a little different than other 30's or 50's.  The gear is actually in a cut in the housing (part #1).  I shaft and gear will not turn.  I assume that there is corrosion or other material in the shaft race?  How can I get the gear off the shaft?  Am I missing a pin or something?  Gear puller?  I sprayed a penetrant oil in the shaft on both sides to see if it would come free.

Any help would be appreciated.  I can post some pics if needed.

Thanks so much for this website and any help!

Sea Hunt

Gaujo

I just rebuilt 2 of these, but i do not follow your description.  If you post some pictures I'm sure we can help you.  First off describe ur drag setup.  4 tiny screws or 3 tabs on the drag cover?  Bblack plastic or metal dog catchers?  The year of manuf is the first 2 #s on the inside of one of the plates, facing the reel.
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

alantani

can you pick out a schematic for us?  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/International.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Sea-Hunt

Thanks for the replies.  This is the shaft the handle attaches to (large gear also attaches to with the brass plate and 3 screws).  I actually soaked with "break free" type solution and gave it a little persuasion with a hammer and block of wood.  Appears that the previous owner had it serviced but did not take the shaft out.  There was 20 years of old grease in this.  The Penn thumb bold says oil on it (with some numbers).  Should this be filled with oil?  Sorry for the dumb questions but new to Penn 50's and 80's.  Also, does anyone know what the thread size is for the bolt to shaft.  It appears a little gaulled!
Thanks again and sorry for the dumb questions! :-*

Sea-Hunt

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/50.pdf

Part that was stuck was #134 (Gear Stud)

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

alantani

glad you got that one out.  it can be a real bear.  try to just lube it and throw it back together.  if it works, stick with it.  hopefully it will.  parts for that reel are expensive, hard to come by, or simply not available. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!