What's you opinion on the new Avet Raptors coming out?

Started by LAChamp, July 23, 2009, 04:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAChamp

The link spells it out as to what new features they will have. There's also a picture. Double drags on one side?
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/avet-reels-support/152957-sx-raptor-2-speed-more.html

LAChamp

alantani

avet has made it abundantly clear that they do not believe in greased carbon fiber drag washers.  they have left their spool bearings sealed and at risk for corrosion.  the other bearings are sealed with grease on one side and dry on the other, so they are also at risk for corrosion.  someone asked, "why fix it if it ain't broke?"  sadly, i think that the sx/mx/lx/jx/hx series of reels has been "broke" from the very beginning.  that's the reason that i fish with accurates instead of avets.  but, hey, even the accurates have had issues.........   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LAChamp

Hey, I'm with you on the whole mantiance iusse and have done everything you suggest on my Avets to help. I was asking more about how having 2 drag washers on one end vs. one on each side of the spool may effect bearings, shaft load and such. Just wondering if you for see any possible iusses. Putting aside the whole greased drags and such of course. 

alantani

i've not had a chance to crack open one of these.  it's my guess that they've grudgingly listened to all of the complaints about the low drag range and have responded with the raptor series.  two drag washers should increase the drag range, prehaps even double it!  if that is the case, it will be on par with accurate.  i do not pretend to be a mind reader, but it must be tough for avet to have always been second best for all of these years. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LAChamp

I sure hope these news ones are up to the task. Would be nice to buy a reel close to par of an accurate at less $$. Time will tell.