Help on the 113H Tank mods

Started by seaeagle2, June 10, 2012, 06:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaeagle2

I have a couple spare 113H sideplates, and some stainless dogs from Keta.  I have a generic rotary tool but I have never used one in my life.  Hows about some advice on the procedure.  How should I secure the sideplate while I remove material, how should I mark where to remove material, what type of bit / tool should I use to remove the material.  I have some extra 113H dog springs so I was planning to use them.  Any advice would be appreciated.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

seaeagle2

I'm still pretty new at this tearing apart reels thing. I'm probably not the only one that's seen the double dog mod and not been quite sure I want to take it on, well, here's my first attempt.  I will say I have a couple extra side plates so I wasn't too worried about screwing it up.  So here's how I did it.  I put just the gear in the sideplate, then took one of the "bridge screws" and a dog and put the screw in from the  inside (that way it didn't keep dropping out).  Then I used a pencil and marked what to grind  away.  I used a little "engraving" bit to start, then used a grinding wheel to sort of smooth it all out.  There's got to be a better bit to use but this is what I had on a Sunday morning at the house. I sort of test fit it and it seems to be working okay so far. I used a rotary tool that I got at Costco.  
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Bryan Young

Looks good.  I just used dremel with a grinding cylinder where the head of the grinding stone was flat.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Great stuff seaeagle.
Be wary of shaving too much off the top edge, which works as a 'spring shield'.
If there's not enough left to hold the spring, you can use some brass/copper plate to make a shroud which fastens down under the bridge, like so:

Let us know if you run into any problems.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

You guys impress me all the time..   So much ingenuity........
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!