MXJ 6.3 convert to 4.5

Started by Danhans, June 11, 2012, 01:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danhans

hi,
i have an old model MXJ 6.3 that is no longer in production..
i emailed avet asking about the possibility of converting it to 4.5:1 ratio and parts needed last week but until today, there's no reply..
according to the schematic, i need drive gear, pinion gear, pinion bearing and drag plate..not sure if there's more..
i also dont know if my reel can be converted or not..i cant afford another avet..they are very expensive here in Malaysia..
another set of low ratio gears for bottom fishing is all i can afford..actually, i do more bottom fishing than jigging..
our waters arent deep..less than 80 meters but the current are so strong..we usually use up to 1.5kg or 3 pounds of sinker..
bringing up the sinker plus fish is a big pain with high ratio reel..please help  :(
-Dan

alantani

the drag plate and bearing should be the same.  the only difference should be the main gear and the pinion gear.  i send it a parts order.  that is something they will have to respond to.  they will not ship overseas, so i would have to do it anyway.  i will let you know what the cost will be, but i am guessing tghat you can figure around $20 with shipping included.  i will let you know when i know.   alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Danhans

great!! thank you so much Alan..
i think im gonna need a new pinion bearing too because i noticed some sign of corrosion on the outer surface of mine..
dan

Danhans

here's the photo of the reel..i bought a custom knob and have a local machine shop made me the handle..
it's pretty ugly and heavy but works great! it did provide some extra torque..

as you can see, the pinion gear is stuck in the bearing..i cant pull it out by hand and i dont have a gut to use tools because
im afraid of damaging either parts..if she really wants to be inside there, let it be there..

Bryan Young

The pinion gear can easily be separated by the bearing with a vice, socket and hammer or a board, with a hole drilled in the board larger than the pinon, socket and a hammer.  The socket OD should be as close as the ID of the bearing.  the socket maybe replace with a dowl or something of that nature.  I use a socket because it's easlily available for me.  Clamp the bearing in the vice, place the socket in the ID of the bearing and tap it out.  It's the same with the board except you just lay the bearing down with the pinion in the hole of the board and tap it out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

measure out the pinion gear.  i can pull one out and pack it with grease.  bearings are easy. 

Danhans

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 11, 2012, 07:21:10 PM
The pinion gear can easily be separated by the bearing with a vice, socket and hammer or a board, with a hole drilled in the board larger than the pinon, socket and a hammer.  The socket OD should be as close as the ID of the bearing.  the socket maybe replace with a dowl or something of that nature.  I use a socket because it's easlily available for me.  Clamp the bearing in the vice, place the socket in the ID of the bearing and tap it out.  It's the same with the board except you just lay the bearing down with the pinion in the hole of the board and tap it out.

ohhh..so avet purposely make the pinion sit tight in the bearing..i thought mine was stuck..thanks Bryan..will do that next time..

Quote from: alantani on June 11, 2012, 07:33:21 PM
measure out the pinion gear.  i can pull one out and pack it with grease.  bearings are easy.  

done! without having to pull out the pinion..thanks Alan
if the pinion is made to sit tight in the bearing, i dont mind paying for a new bearing for the low ratio pinion..
it'll make the conversion easier with just a screw driver and an allen wrench..
so that i can perform the conversion quicker..

alantani

if the bearing is good, leave it be.  they commonly go bad, though.  it has to be replaced if it has any roughness at all. 

Bryan Young

Dan, if you are not going to take out the bearing, I would add a drop or two of corrosionX between the bearing and the pinion to reduce the rusting between the two metals.  Preferably, I would take it of and apply grease then re-insert.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Danhans

Alan, the bearing spins flawlessly but there's a minimal sign of corrosion that bothers me..
im using a cheap mobile phone camera, i cant focus on that..lol
if it's okay then i dont need to replace with a new one..

Bryan, if Alan can help me getting the parts needed plus the pinion bearing, guess i dont need to take it out..
i just use a new set of pinion and bearing and will surely apply some grease..thanks for the input!

alantani

i send in a parts order that day and avet has still not gotten back to me. 

Danhans

thank you so much Alan...i can wait..no problem..

co_joselo

Good day to everyone,

May i ask about any update regarding the conversion? I have the same reel.

Selo

alantani

not sure what ever happened with that one.  it would take some doing, but there should be upgrade parts available.  honestly, you might just be better off selling the one one and buying a new one.   the cost difference would likely be the same. 

co_joselo

Good Day Alan,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Selo