Penn 430SS anti-reverse dog

Started by bluesideup, June 12, 2012, 02:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesideup

Hi everyone,

I took apart my 430ss for cleaning and the a/r dog fell out before I could see how it was installed, so I would know how to put it back. I probably put it back in wrong, as the gear bent the prongs on one of the ends of the dog. I ordered a new one, but still have no idea how this is supposed to be installed and what position the a/r lever should be in. Does anyone have any tricks on getting it in. Any photos or diagrams would be great-I haven't been able to find any.

Thanks for any help.
Bill

Alto Mare

Hello Bill, this one is a little bigger but similar. Let me know if it helps. Sal
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4065.msg30256#msg30256
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluesideup

Thanks Alto, but that one looks totally different than the 430ss, unless I'm not seeing something.

redsetta

G'day Bill,
You're right, it's different set up on the 430.
The dog (ie #4) runs on the ratchet gear affixed to the left side of the main gear (ie #8), within the frame.
There is a small post in the frame which the dog slides onto - just be sure the dog tabs are nice and snug around the ratchet gear or it won't engage properly.
Schematic here: https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/430ss.pdf
Let us know if you run into any difficulties refitting.
Good luck, Justin

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

bluesideup

Quote from: redsetta on June 12, 2012, 02:53:19 AM
G'day Bill,
You're right, it's different set up on the 430.
The dog (ie #4) runs on the ratchet gear affixed to the left side of the main gear (ie #8), within the frame.
There is a small post in the frame which the dog slides onto - just be sure the dog tabs are nice and snug around the ratchet gear or it won't engage properly.
Schematic here: https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/430ss.pdf
Let us know if you run into any difficulties refitting.
Good luck, Justin

Thanks. I'll give it a try when it arrives. I didn't know that the tabs run along (the gear goes in between the tabs) the ratchet gear.
Bill

Alto Mare

Thanks for setting me straight Justin, I had a half  a dozen of those reels and didn't have a need for them, so I sold them all. I didn't remember what they looked like on the inside, I thought they were the same as the 450SS. Oops!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Done the same thing meself Sal.
Try as we might, perfection eludes... ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

you should be able to bend those wings back so it fits snug on the anti-reverse rachet and you should be good to go.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluesideup

Quote from: redsetta on June 12, 2012, 03:15:45 AM

You got that right. That's why at $1.95 each, I bought two dogs (and a bunch of drag washers for various reels in the same shipment). I sure to screw one of them up again.  ;D

bluesideup

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 12, 2012, 04:31:07 AM
you should be able to bend those wings back so it fits snug on the anti-reverse rachet and you should be good to go.

I guess you mean the wings on the new dog should bend?
Is it easier to fit the dog on to the main gear first and then try to install them both together?
How does the dog fit around the eccentric and should the lever be up or down?  I'm just trying to get a picture of how this should look when installing.
Thanks.

Bryan Young

I cannot remember how they actually sit, but if you pinch the two wings together and place the dog on the rachet, it should be snug and then lighly oil them with corrosionX or something like that, screw down and that should do it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluesideup

Thanks for the help. I finally got it in. It is a similar set-up to the 650ss and 750ss. When the wings came, the ratchet would not fit between them and they had to be spread apart. It took me a while to figure it out, because I assumed that they would fit right out of the box. I had to fit the dog onto the ratchet, like Bryan said, and then install both at once.

I have another question:
I ended up successfully taking apart, cleaning, greasing and re-assembling: a 750ss, 650ss, 712z, 710z, 430ss and 2 720z's. I've had these for about a year and used them while away on a few trips to FL, but I was hesitant to service them for fear of not being able to re-assemble them. Most were literally packed with grease and had grease on outer exposed areas (they were from different sellers on ebay) and seemed sluggish, even though the grease looked good. I understand that having a lot of grease will help if the are dunked in salt water, but may main concern is sand. If I dunked them, I would wash them out soon after, but on the west coast of FL, the sand is very fine and gets into everything. Even just a breeze blows the sand around and get into things and the grease would be a magnet. I lightly greased the reels (Reel Butter and Reel Grease) and they seemed to run much more easy. Am I on the right track with the light grease for what I'm using (surf and pier fishing on FL west coast-calm surf, fine sand)? Would do you think about Reel Butter?
Thanks,
Bill

Bryan Young

Bill, you are on track.  Excess grease in the reel only gets pushed aside and create a barrier for things to operate properly.  Note, I'm not talking about grease packed bearings.  Also, excess grease will keep dirt and other contaminants near the parts you are trying to protect.  I lightly grease the inside of the reels, and no longer pack them.

bluesideup

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 16, 2012, 05:16:41 PM
Bill, you are on track.  Excess grease in the reel only gets pushed aside and create a barrier for things to operate properly.  Note, I'm not talking about grease packed bearings.  Also, excess grease will keep dirt and other contaminants near the parts you are trying to protect.  I lightly grease the inside of the reels, and no longer pack them.

Glad to hear!  I guess I'm done with them for the season, unless I dunk them in sand or water. Thanks for the help.
Take care,
Bill

Dominick

Quote from: redsetta on June 12, 2012, 03:15:45 AM
I looked up perfection in the dictionary and lo and behold there was my picture.   ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.