mixing pinion gears

Started by john2244, June 13, 2012, 09:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

The last few years I have tried to fish a different group of reels.  This year I will use the following Penn reels:
49, 60, 85, 99, 100, 125, 155, 180, 259, and 309.  I have noticed the 60, 85, 99, 100, and 259 use the same main gear (5-60)
with various different pinion gears to obtain different gear ratios.  In hopes of saving me tearing down these reels (again) does anyone know if I can mix any of the following pinion gears: 13-60, 13-99, and 13-200.   As an example, can I put a 13-200 pinion from a Penn 100 into my Penn 60 replacing the 13-60 pinion and improving the gear ratio from 2.5:1 to 3.3:1 ??    Also, the Penn 309 and 500 share the same main gear (5-500) but use different pinion gears (13-60 and 13-500).  Same question, can I put a 13-500 pinion in my Penn 309 and improve the gear ratio ??

It seems like I read where some pinions can be mixed but I could not find that info again.  I did read the thread from Alan stating that I can put a Penn 500 handle side plate on my Penn 99's.   

Thanks for any tips and help,
John

Bryan Young

That's a great question John.  I was going to study the Penn Parts list to see what reels use the same main and look at the pinions and vise versa.  Now where did that list go...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

John, If the pinion is not of the same diameter it won't work.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

You can't do it. At least I couldn't. The gears have different diameters...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bruce

Good call AKfish.   The gears will only work as a pair in the housing they were designed for. The center to center spaceing of gears would be different in each case,therefore the side plates have different spaceing for the gears.

Buzz
Buzz

George4741

There are only rare examples of where gears can be changed and things will still work.  Going to a larger main gear requires an equal decrease in diameter of the pinion gear, and vice-versa.  Then the side plate must have the necessary clearance for the increase in gear size.  I did it to change a Penn 349H to the slower retrieve 349.  But then, it is easy with the Master Mariner series; Penn made those sideplates to be interchangeable.  Nice. ;D
viurem lliures o morirem