DAIWA SL20SHB

Started by jaypeegee, June 14, 2012, 11:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypeegee

Hi

I have just gotten a couple of these.
Have had a tentative poke around em to clean and prep for use.
Seem to be in goodish condition overall with one real exception
On one the handle assembly has seized/fused/stuck on the driveshaft.
I have used CRC to try and soak it apart while gently worrying the joined area. (didnt want to add needless flex to the drive shaft seating, so havent forced it too much)
Is there any advice anyone can add (assuming my above approach is, in itsself, correct.)

Appreciate your thoughts

jaypeegee

Yeah it's been a couple of days now and I havent made any head way on seperating these pieces
I figure I will brace the handle and then  will start tapping the Driveshaft gently (With the nut on it, I figure the thread will survive) hoping that a series of shocks may drop the driveshaft back through the handle and expedite this process.
I guess worst case scenario (I cannot seperate them) I will need to hacksaw the handle off and replace that?
I tried to disassemble the spool to get in from behind the driveshaft, But it doesnt seem possible that way. I had hoped to isolate the driveshaft and handle assbly and work on them without stressing the rest of the components..

If I do have to butcher the handle off: Is there any value in using a handle from a different reel if the driveshaft hole fits it?. Some of the EVA covered ones look sweet? Like the saltist etc
Thoughts,advice etc welcome

Bryan Young

Welcome Jay.

Sorry, I didn't see this posting.  I hold the handle in my hand where the shaft stradles between my fingers.  I use a screw driver with  plastic handle and tap at the handle shaft.  Note, the freel can just fall, so put something under the reel so that it catches the reel without damage.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

you're going to have to muscle it off!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jaypeegee

Hi Bryan and Alan

I will give it a whirl
Really want to do as little damage as poss
will be careful!

Any idea what other handles will interchange on this reel?

jaypeegee

I ended up soaking the handle/driveshaft join in CRC over a couple of nights then I wiped it away last night and got a 10/0 hook. Straightened it out carefully and used the point to pick/scratch at the corrosion at the join.
Did this until I got a wee crevice appearing then put more CRC down in the newly created space
I carefully got a punch and on the flat side of the driveshaft (Away from the screw thread) punched the handle at the point that the driveshaft was to try and shock it loose.
After gently tapping the handle and alternately the driveshaft I was able to remove the handle by unscrewing the star drag and have it push the handle up.
I removed the handle, Unscrewed the reel and had a quick look inside then cleaned up the remaining evidence of corrosion and reassembled

So my patience was rewarded.

jaypeegee

Aside from a custom solution, What other Handles would fit onto the SL20SHB?
I have only used spinning reels prior to this and find the smaller Radius of this handles movement a little unusual
I wondered if I was to get a slightly larger handle I might enjoy the reel more.
I guess that Daiwa have spent time and money giving this reel the correct handle. So I may be way off base.
Thoughts on this would be welcomed

alantani

i always throw on a kolelar grip, but dawn has a bunch of really nice handle grips.  http://smoothdrag.com/handles.html

jaypeegee

Hi Alan

Let me be clearer.
The Knob size is OK,.The texture I am getting used to
It is the length of the handle that I feel is a little small, Hence the circle my hand creates when retrieving is somewhat jerky.
Thus I wonder if putting a handle on that creates a larger circumference in retrieve may be more comfortable.
I am new to Multiplier reels and dont appreciate the implications just yet so feel free to point out the shortcomings of my thoughts if applicable.

Those handles look shiny and nice tho...

alantani

a daiwa power handle has two positions and should give you a longer throw.  the grip is a little smaller.  i always add a larger grip, but that starts getting pricey. 

jaypeegee

Quote from: alantani on June 21, 2012, 12:58:44 AM
a daiwa power handle has two positions and should give you a longer throw.  the grip is a little smaller.  i always add a larger grip, but that starts getting pricey. 

Appreciate your response Alan.

I will start the googling for DAIWA power handles.
I wonder if I could fit the EVA saltist handle on it? Is it compatible? Is it a good idea? Hmmm

Your thoughts are welcomed.