113h upgrade

Started by Jerseymic, June 14, 2012, 03:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

if anyone need clearance with the main gear and is not comfortable shaving the plate, try shaving a little off the top of the main gear. The  fourth eared washer needs to be a little lower than the lip on the gear though, atherwise  it won't work. On my observations, the fourth eared washer sits flush with the main gear on Newell and Penn steel gears, on the Accurate ss and  Penn brass gears the fourth eared washer sits appro. 1/16" lower. I hope this is of some help. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jerseymic

Hi Sal,

Yes as you can see by my previous post I went your way, I felt a little more confident shaving a bit off the gear than using the dremel deep down in the sideplate.

Thanks again for your advise, I suppose as time goes on I will gain more confidedence.

Mike

Alto Mare

Great job Mike. I personally like that route better ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gaujo

Quote from: Jerseymic on June 14, 2012, 03:39:16 PM
Hi Guys,
Since joining the forum a couple of months ago I have now stripped my third reel, a 113h which I picked up recently. Unfortunately I discovered that it has the injection moulded sideplates, so until I find a compressiom moulded handle sideplate I thought I would use the sidplate I have to practise on, (this is all Alto Mare's fault Ha Ha) after seeing his beautiful tank I would like to do something similar.
So I held my breath, started grinding and put in a second dog, It all seems to have gone well, I am just waiting for a flat spring to see if it all works. The reel has a five washer Ht100 drag stack, can I put a HT100 carbon drag washer under the main gear in place of the fibre washer or will it be too thick. When the pennies allow I would like a Tiburon frame, stainless bridge sleeve and any other upgrades that you guys suggest. All the parts will have to come from your side of the pond, so if they can come from one place to save on postage all the better (hint Alan) I am a complete novice but willing to have a go, so your help will be much appreciated.

Mike.

Have you considered qthe Baja Special?
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

Jerseymic

Hi Gaujo
Thanks for the input but I have been inspired by Sal's tank, and having a go at upgrading my 113h will give me some experience at working on reels.

Mike