113h upgrade

Started by Jerseymic, June 14, 2012, 03:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseymic

Hi Guys,
Since joining the forum a couple of months ago I have now stripped my third reel, a 113h which I picked up recently. Unfortunately I discovered that it has the injection moulded sideplates, so until I find a compressiom moulded handle sideplate I thought I would use the sidplate I have to practise on, (this is all Alto Mare's fault Ha Ha) after seeing his beautiful tank I would like to do something similar.
So I held my breath, started grinding and put in a second dog, It all seems to have gone well, I am just waiting for a flat spring to see if it all works. The reel has a five washer Ht100 drag stack, can I put a HT100 carbon drag washer under the main gear in place of the fibre washer or will it be too thick. When the pennies allow I would like a Tiburon frame, stainless bridge sleeve and any other upgrades that you guys suggest. All the parts will have to come from your side of the pond, so if they can come from one place to save on postage all the better (hint Alan) I am a complete novice but willing to have a go, so your help will be much appreciated.

Mike.

Irish Jigger

Tiburon frames here (T4) that may suit your application plus all the little extras which Alan can provide. I am seriously considering the Tiburon Jigmaster 501 frame  for a little project  that I have in mind.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1524.0

Jerseymic

Hi Irish Jigger,

Thanks for the link, I also have a jiggmaster 500 which a tiburon frame would be nice for. What have I got myself into!!!!!!

Best wishes,

Mike.

redsetta

Great stuff Mike - well done.
Quotecan I put a HT100 carbon drag washer under the main gear in place of the fibre washer or will it be too thick.
Yes, no problem.
The thicker #6-113 (or #6-875) is the best option.
Good luck, Justin
PS Tom, looking forward to seeing this Tiburon 501 when you're finished!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Jerseymic

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the info on the washer, I have tried to take in everything on the forum but as a newbie some things I get a bit confused with.
Hopefully as time goes on I will get a bit more informed with it all'

Best wishes,

Mike

Alto Mare

Be careful with those reels Mike, it gets out of control :).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: redsetta on June 14, 2012, 09:09:13 PM
The thicker #6-113 (or #6-875) is the best option.
Good luck, Justin

Justin, do you mean the 6-113H instead of the 6-113 washer?  I think the 6-113 is too small. 

Quote from: Jerseymic on June 14, 2012, 03:39:16 PM
The reel has a five washer Ht100 drag stack, can I put a HT100 carbon drag washer under the main gear in place of the fibre washer or will it be too thick.   

Most of us always put a HT-100 washer under the main gear.  It is an almost essential part of the drag upgrade.  You may have to dremel out your sideplate to allow extra room for the HT-100 & main gear.  I did on mine.  But then, it sounds like you are an old hand with the dremel. ;D 

viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on June 14, 2012, 10:48:44 PM

Most of us always put a HT-100 washer under the main gear.  It is an almost essential part of the drag upgrade.  You may have to dremel out your sideplate to allow extra room for the HT-100 & main gear.  I did on mine.  But then, it sounds like you are an old hand with the dremel. ;D 
Or shave a little off the  top of the main gear ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Quote...do you mean the 6-113H instead of the 6-113 washer?
Quite right George - I'd overlooked a critical keystroke. ;)
Thanks, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Jerseymic

H guys,

Thanks for all your advice about how to fit the washer, and with reference to your comment Alto, I think it already has.

As for the dremel, I have not used one a lot, what I did to machine out the side plate, was put the dremel cutter in the drill press, set the depth stop for the correct depth, then bit by bit machined it out, it seemed to work ok.

When one gets into something like this, it's a bit of a bind living here in the UK where anything out of the ordinary is not available. As I posted before, even the blue Yamalube is unavailable here, if only I was younger I would be on the next ship across the pond with a one way ticket!! even your fish are bigger than ours.

Thanks again,

Mike.

Irish Jigger

Hi Mike, this new Lucas blue grease may interest you and it's only a quarter the price of Penn Technical Grease.
Cheers,Tom.

George4741

Quote from: Jerseymic on June 15, 2012, 07:29:54 AM
As for the dremel, I have not used one a lot, what I did to machine out the side plate, was put the dremel cutter in the drill press, set the depth stop for the correct depth, then bit by bit machined it out, it seemed to work ok.

I like your thinking, Mike.  That is how I dremeled the needed clearance for the main gear on my 113H.  It made a nice, even cut.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Jerseymic

Thanks Tom, Ron emailed me about it so I ordered some and it arrived today. You guys with more  experience than me will have to let me know what you think. As I said before I am new to all of this so I have a lot to learn.

You are right George it does make a nice even cut, you seem to have more control with the drill press.
I went the other way with my main gear, shaved a bit off the top on a diamond stone.
As it was my first time and not wanting to mess up, I used calipers to measure the thickness of the fibre and carbon washers to see how much to take off the gear, then kept checking it as I ground it down, and it seems ok.
At this rate I will be turning into an engineer instead of a carpenter.

Mike.

Jerseymic

Never thought to ask, when I put the ht100 in place of the fibre washer do I have to reduce the outside diameter or leave as is.

Thanks,

Mike.

Alto Mare

I leave mine full. You know, I wasn't joking when I said you could shave a little off the main gear to make it work  ;D.