Calcutta 401 te

Started by Sun Tzu, June 14, 2012, 10:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun Tzu

First off, hi everyone this is my first post.  :)
I have a calcutta 401 te and just changed out the stock drags for carbontex. Now I have a problem.. The reel engages fine, but only with the drag backed off all the way. when I tighten the drag, it is really hard to crank, and there is no free spool.
Any help would be appreciated. Great site, thanks Alan.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

another toughie. try disassembling and assembling it again.  maybe something is not in its proper place. had no problem when i upgraded to carbontex for my 400BSV. also check this post,  it might be ble to help you. good luck.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2430.0

Sun Tzu

Nice link, thank you. I've back tracked and still no change. I'm not used to not being able to figure these things out. frustration setting in... :( Lets try this again..

alantani

sounds like the star is bottoming out.  there should be three belleville washers under the star.  from inside to outside, they should be oriented "( ) (" and then the star.  that gives the maximum height.  otherwise, you might be missing a washer. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Sun Tzu on June 14, 2012, 10:52:14 PM
when I tighten the drag, it is really hard to crank, and there is no free spool.
Any help would be appreciated. Great site, thanks Alan.

ok! what about the clutch and clutch bar, when you mate the right side plate to the frame is the clutch bar in the up  position? on my 400BSV this was emphasized when reassembling the reel. let's see what happens from here. please keep us posted.

REK

For what it's worth...I changed out my drag washers on my Calcutta 3 and 400 TEs to carbontex and everything works fine. So...I don't think the problems you're having are the drag upgrade. And the link provided doesn't help much as the TEs are a bit more complicated. Lots of parts that have to be configured correctly. Thinking of your problem, but I'm stumped.

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Round_Baitcasting/cte401ARB_v1_m56577569830570320.pdf

Bryan Young

Sounds like your gear is binding.  Did you only change your drags our or did you do a full service and remove screws to grease them in the side plate?  Did you take the dog out?  Is the rachet plate sit well on the shaft and flush.  Is the dog possioned when on the rachet? 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

COuld be quite a few things in the Main Shaft or Drag stack..

One thing I often have trouble with is the Main Shaft Sleeve..   It has 2 ears that fit into top of drag stack.
When you replace the Side cover on,  ANY movement UP will pull the Ears out of the slots.
You have to continue with down pressure as you work the cover on.. 
Its one of the things that drives ya Nutzzzzzzzzzz  Till you get a feel for it..

That makes the drag stack way to high and it binds....

Also the Under Ratchet Plate seated into the shoulders of shaft??
this is the normal & first call on these. Its sits crooked when not seated and that Binds the Gears up...  Making it hard to turn handle....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

REK

Make sure the eared metal drag washer is sitting correctly. Sometimes the ears will move up and out the main gear.

Sun Tzu

Wow, so many options. I'll try each one till I get it right. I only changed the drag washers, and didn't really remove anything extra. I'll be working 12 hour shifts for the next few days, but will keep you all posted when I get a chance. Thanks for the multiple possible solutions. ( I think )  :-\

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

also look at these  parts; 2128(bearing washer), 2695(drag click plate), 2122(drag click pin), 2123(drag click spring), 2697(drag click pin holder) 2699-2700(drive shaft washers A & B), 2950(Roller Clutch Inner Tube) make sure this ptmeshes well with 2430(key washer). maybe it's in one these parts where the problem is.

Quote from: REK on June 15, 2012, 03:52:49 PM
And the link provided doesn't help much as the TEs are a bit more complicated. Lots of parts that have to be configured correctly.

tell me about  it. i have the Calcutta Conquest 300 Type J-HG just the model name  itself has too many it it. :)

Sun Tzu

Drag spring washers and Roller Clutch Inner Tube were not installed right. Thanks for all the suggestions. There is nothing quite like the feeling of turning the handle and the reel feeling as smooth as butter. Kinda line hitting a 2 iron on the sweet spot and rolling it close for an eagle... love it.

Bryan Young

Glad you got it figured out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B