My Hoard of Penns and a Few Others

Started by George4741, June 15, 2012, 04:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

From top to bottom: Penn 85, 78, original 190, and 77.  

Top row: two Penn 155's.  I bought them for my first albacore trip, naively thinking they would be the ideal reel.  Luckily someone showed me the error of my ways and I used a Jigmaster, instead.  Bottom row: a narrowed 155, 200 Surfmaster narrowed to a 150, and a 140 Squidder.  Squidders seem to have a cult following; I'm just not one of them.    

Top row: my first Penn, a 9M.  Also a 350 Leveline, 320GT2, and 310GTI.  Bottom row: a Penn 9M and 309.  I bought the 350 for my wife, thinking it would be suitable for albacore.  One look at the small drags and the lack of replacement parts made me realize that it is better off sitting on the shelf.  Too bad.;D  The 320GT2 and 310GTI belong to my wife.  She uses them for everything.  I don't know why I purchased the 309.  I suppose it was another impulse buy. :-\

Top row: an Accurate "99" width frame and spool, and two maroon jigmasters.  Bottom row: Tiburon and Newelled Jigmasters, both narrowed to "99" width, and a 501.  The 99's and 501 are my "go-to" reels for most everything.  Someday I'll install the Accurate kit on one of the maroon jigmasters.  

Penn 20 International, 130 Sailfisher, and 99 Silverbeach.  The 20 is clunky, so maybe someday I'll send it to Cal so he can work his magic on it.  I bought the 99 to use the spool on my first "99" width jigmaster.

viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

Dem one nice collection you got there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Would you like to adopt a kid?  Then you can leave all that pretty stuff to me....great lookin' collection
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

George4741

Thank you, guys, but I've seen other members photos of their collections that just put me in awe.  These photos make some of my reels look better than they really are.  Too bad I can't say that for myself. ;) ;D 

Most of them are working reels or aren't in pristine shape so I wouldn't hesitate to fish with them.  The 130 Sailfisher and 350 Leveline are exceptions.  Parts are hard to find and I would be devastated if I damaged them.     
viurem lliures o morirem

basto

Love those old Internationals. I have one the same, but am wondering if mine is older or younger than yours, seeing the handgrip is different. Mine has a black plastic grip with metal discs on each end.

Can you tell me the difference between a Squidder and Jigmaster? Is it only the gear ratio?
Thanks for showing.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

George4741

Quote from: basto on June 16, 2012, 05:35:00 AM
Love those old Internationals. I have one the same, but am wondering if mine is older or younger than yours, seeing the handgrip is different. Mine has a black plastic grip with metal discs on each end.

Can you tell me the difference between a Squidder and Jigmaster? Is it only the gear ratio?
Thanks for showing.

I don't know much about the Internationals, so I'm no help there. 

The Squidder is smaller in diameter and has a 1:3.3 gear ratio.  The Jigmaster has a 1:4 gear ratio.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Bruce

Hello   Squidder did come in 3 widths now just 2 ,has dog dissengage so gears stay in mesh and handle and spool can turn backwards to feed line. Ball bearings in all  squidders only in some model jigmasters,and kinda 2/0 size whereas jigmaster is more 3/0 diameter wise, jigmasters come in two widths also as stated the gear ratios are much slower on squidders 1to3 where as jigmasters can be 1to4  in bushing reels or 1to5 in the ball bearing models. Both series have the quick change spool feature.
           There may be some other differences I am not aware off or have overlooked.
             Something that has alwaya interested me is , in the jigmaster line how many different widths are there , stock an after market ,I.E. 99, newell`s ,stock Penn etc ?

Thanks  Buzz         
Buzz

basto

Thanks BUZZ. Does that mean the squidders do not have a yoke to disengage the gears?
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bruce

Hello Basto

No, internals are pretty much the same for all the older Penns, Squidder ,Jignaster , Senator, even levelwinds , there is just an extra part or two for disengaging the dog, You will have no problem seeing how it works and servicing.
           Now if someone could explain the reasonig behind that feature an a casting reel I would like to hear it . For trolling it is a good feature at times, just flip switch and backreel to let out a bit more line.
           I have some Squidders in different widths and custom ones. Pretty good little reels, but a bit slow on the retrieve.

Buzz
Buzz

john2244

George,
You have some very nice reels.  I don't think I have ever seen an original Penn 190, nice find !!
John

George4741

Thank you, John.  Once I used the 190 for ice fishing in NE Nevada.  It did alright, even though it is a knucklebuster.  We were catching trout averaging 11-12 inches (really big stuff ;D).  As you may know, the spool is the same as the 100 surfmaster.

George 
viurem lliures o morirem